Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

My first ever was the kowasaki one and it quit working with one drop. I got the ones Digr linked, the Rigid brand, and no complaints at all. I had a variable speed clark for a while, I like it until it quit. I have a 7" HF orange thing, and still use it. I bought a 4.5" HF one and think it is a absolute POS.

Enjoy

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM

I have four of the neon green ryobi's. I found them to be great deal, as a hobbyist. I really like the rat-tail handle that swivels. Of course they don't have a lot of power with 6.5A or so, so the important thing is to load them up with the best abrasives you can get. My favorite by far are 3M Cubitron II wheels. Those ceramic grains are very aggressive, which means less pressure needs to be exterted. With the Cubitron II abrasives, I would equate these grinders with a 8-9A grinder with a traditional, equivalent abrasive.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Post Fiend

I have a couple Makita 9527 4.5" that are my "go-to" grinders. One I paid $60 new, another I pulled from a dumpster, blew out the dust and it has been working fine for years. Both are fairly light and vibration-free.

I have a Milwaukee 4.5" paddle switch that gets use on occasion. The paddle is good for certain applications but your fingers can get tired holding the switch on.

I also have a couple blue Ryobis 4.5" I picked up new on a Black Friday sale for $20ea (I think). I would imagine they are the same as the "green" models. They are well-built and run fine.

I have a couple 18V Ryobi 4.5". This is a heavy sucker with the battery installed and only turns at 6500rpm. (most 4.5" 120v turn at 10,000rpm) It is good for more detail/blending work.

I have a Harbor Freight "DrillMaster" that gets used for the nasty stuff. At $10 I didn't expect much but it has held out fine over the years. The fit and finish are fair. It is noisy and vibrates more than the others above but you get what you pay for sometimes.

Walk through a tool department and get some pricing of various models. Then go to a pawn shop and see what they have. Don't be afraid to offer 1/2 retail on a newish looking unit. I don't bother with dirty or paint-covered specimens as that indicates to me a lack of respect for the tool.

Don't forget the quality safety gear, either!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
trust but verify

I suggest at least one six-inch angle grinder to take advantage of the dramatically more effective cutting disks. Best style has a body the size of a 4.5" grinder but a larger guard and of course higher output. I have a Metabo but Makita make some good ones too. I've never had or worked with a bad Makita tool. (I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used older Makita either.)

If you don't mind cleaning a commutator and changing brushes or a cord you can do well at yard sales and auctions. ereplacementparts.com have excellent exploded diagrams which I use to find part numbers. Then I check Ebay stores first.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
That HURT!

I look at 4.5" grinders as a consumable item. I've been buying the 10 amp Dewalts with the paddle trigger. I have some that are at least 3 years old. Grinders get used and abused in my shop, the DeWalts seem to hold up well enough to keep using them.

I have one 7.5 amp Snap On branded grinder (made by Black and Decker) that is over 20 years old. It only does flap wheel duty but I really like this grinder. I have replaced the cord on it many times.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 PM

I have one of the Dewalt 10 amp units with the paddle switch and it is one of my favorites, easy to use, powerful and easy to hold onto. I also like my Bosch and Milwaukee ones. Have a Metabo with a thumb switch but it gets tiring real quick as Metabo doesn't put trigger locks on theirs, so I don't use that one much at all. I have one old HF still kicking, I swear it sounds like it is over revving though. Had a Porter Cable made in China that didn't last long at all. My 7" is a Makita, no complaints there.

I'd have to say if I were to choose just one it would be the Dewalt, just because of it's ease of use and ample power.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM

I like the Bosch 5" grinders with the side switch. You can use them with one hand for lite grinding or de-burring, or mount the side handle for heavy grinding/cutting. Variable speed is real nice for finishing work or for using a wire wheel. The new models have a real nice index-able guard.
One thing to watch on any grinder when using thin cutoff discs is that the nuts are installed correctly so that the disc is firmly clamped between them.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Boiler God

I just read the owner's manual, for one of my Metabo grinders, after reading it and all of the safety instructions, its obvious, I'm not qualified to use this kind of tool............
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I just read the owner's manual, for one of my Metabo grinders, after reading it and all of the safety instructions, its obvious, I'm not qualified to use this kind of tool............
Shhh ! I wont' tell if you won't....

This could be a good thing...If'n you don't meet the qualifications spelled out
in the manual, Vermont might not let you in ....
Old 01-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

I think he is already there. If not, I'm sure he will be, despite his best efforts.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!