Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM

H80N:

thats the exact cord I have ordered. I also picked up a pigtail but couldnt find the 6-50 receptacle to wire it to. I couldnt remember the link from the other thread or what exactly it was I needed so I was a little uncertain as I shopped around. Maybe they were just out of them. Do you recall the link?

Now on to my update:

I did try the plasma plugged directly into the wall and also prepped the metal well. Just a very minimal dimming of the lights so that was WAY better but still did not perform well and so I am wondering if alot of that is the 110 aspect (or perhaps just my inexperience!). Once I get the extension cord squared away we shall see if it makes a difference.

I also tried the tig. Admittedly my only experience to date has been mig and stick so its all new to me. The unit worked ok in that it didnt trip the breaker on 110 and barely caused any dimming or anything. I did however have trouble regulating the argon (see my upcoming seperate thread) and forming a puddle. I kept burning up the tungsten. And FWIW I was practicing on aluminum. I know its more difficult but the steel consumables had not arrived yet so its all I had and I was anxious to start. So not sure if it was the gas issue, my inexperience, using it on 110, or all of the above. I will say I am anxious to practice more however!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboots1212 View Post
H80N:

thats the exact cord I have ordered. I also picked up a pigtail but couldnt find the 6-50 receptacle to wire it to. I couldnt remember the link from the other thread or what exactly it was I needed so I was a little uncertain as I shopped around. Maybe they were just out of them. Do you recall the link?
Try this link...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71246-334-12...7C1&facetInfo=

Do not believe you will get enough amps on 115v to do any useful aluminum welding....

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM

I couldnt for the life of me find that...thanks!

One last (hopefully) thing, is it possible to cut off one end then attach the 6-50 receptacle to that end of the extension cord? I only ask as I was wondering if it would be advised to minimize the number of connections. Was just worried about the welder plugged into the extension cord plugged into the adapter plugged into the dryer outlet. If its not an issue then no worries, just thought I would check!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I couldnt for the life of me find that...thanks!

One last (hopefully) thing, is it possible to cut off one end then attach the 6-50 receptacle to that end of the extension cord? I only ask as I was wondering if it would be advised to minimize the number of connections. Was just worried about the welder plugged into the extension cord plugged into the adapter plugged into the dryer outlet. If its not an issue then no worries, just thought I would check!
Sure you can cut it off...

But I would not do it...

having separate adaptors ... rather than ruining the extension for future uses
strikes me as preferable... and is what I have done..

my little TIG machine (Dynasty 200DX) gets dragged around to all manner of shops and garages... so I have made up a whole collection of adaptor pigtails...

just my 2cents worth..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM

just want to make sure i am not overlooking anything....on the pigtail the middle is the ground and goes to the middle terminal...and the outside ones are the hots. anything else recommended for the adapter or is this all i need?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130111_104448.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	100373  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Joey you have the pigtail figured out center ground outside hots . Remove the crimped on connectors and strip back so you have bare wire to go into the adapter under the luggs. Lay the wires onto the adapter so you can cut them back and strip them to fit neatly inside of it .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
just want to make sure i am not overlooking anything....on the pigtail the middle is the ground and goes to the middle terminal...and the outside ones are the hots. anything else recommended for the adapter or is this all i need?
Looks OK

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The only thing I would add other than double checking the connections...

is...

to run the pigtail through a couple inch length of rubber heater hose at where it clamps to the 6-50 receptacle for a strain relief...

Last edited by H80N; 01-11-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM

perfect...thanks guys!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM

so here is an update. very impressed with switching to 220...gotta say both the plasma and the tig seem to work pretty nice. eastwood is a good unit. still getting used to it...i have been practicing. as you can tell i am still getting used to it...burned through a couple times. but i am having fun with it and looking forward to honing my skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metal.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	100956