Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Director of Languages

Default 3M Cubitron

Morning.

Anyone heard of these new 3M cubitron abrasives? heard about them on an irish forum, some pretty cool videos of them online.

One lad has likened them to being as much of a step forward as the change from a grinding disc to a flap wheel.

Wondered if ye'd tried them out

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...itron-II/Home/

Go grab a few free samples and let me know. (free samples only in the states, local supplier hadnt heard of them, no surprises there)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM

We got free samples from our Acklands rep a couple of weeks ago. I really liked them and I found they lasted much longer then other disc. They were almost as durable as a flap disc and they were 1/2 the price.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Made From Scratch

I have been using the original cubitron in a 2x72 grinding belt for the last 10 years and they are awesome. Work just as advertised, the structured abrasive cuts like crazy and when you think the belt is getting slick you run it on high and hit it with the corner of a bar of steel. The grain fractures and its like a new belt again. On my last order of belts I did get one 60 grit in the cubritron II to try out. Haven't used it yet but I will try to remember to post how it does.
I know you guys are talking wheels and I haven't tried them, but I think the cubitron technology is good and the wheels should be too.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Grumpy Bastard

have one sitting on my desk have not had a chance to try it yet.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

I put in for a free sample, but I really don't see anything in the lineup that'll work on my little Delta bench sander. It's a shame.

I've been surprised how many belts and discs I've gone through in the past year, and I'm kinda tired of replacing the adhesive disc. It's quite a chore to take everything apart and then get it all back aligned after a replacement. I'm using the Diablo discs from HD, they do the job alright, but they tend to clog up a lot with the aluminum. There are 5 parts in my injector assemblies, and each of them gets sanded in at least one spot.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM

Just got a callback from a 3M rep about this, and she's got samples headed my way. I'm anxious to see how it does.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
The Real Deal

[QUOTE=dubby;529545]Just got a callback from a 3M rep about this, and she's got samples headed my way. I'm anxious to see how it does.[/QUO
Me too
Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I've been surprised how many belts and discs I've gone through in the past year
Dub, I can agree with you on that one. I'm thinking it is directly related to the size of the disc and belt width and length.

My little 8" disc and 1"X24" or so belt on the little Delta wear really fast when use. I'm sure if I put together the 24"disc and the 4"X48" grinders thing would last considerably longer for just those reasons. I think my smaller sanders/grinder pads and belts die from heat buildup more than wearing out.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 PM

I did ask if they had any of the Cubitron stuff in a 6" adhesive--no. I described what I was doing to the gal and told her I wasn't picky about what name was on it so long that it'd get the job done. She said she had a pretty good idea what'd work that 3M offered and would throw in a sample of that as well.

The 4x36 belt does well on the aluminum really, but like Ron said if I go back over it with a piece of steel every so often it helps break the aluminum out and it'll sharpen back up. 90% of the sanding I do is using the disc to square up the ends of my tubing. That thin wall gets hot quick and will burn the disc, or I'll jam it in wrong and the burr will actually tear the thing.

Heck, free is free. I'll try anything once