Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Gold Star Dad

"Strong"? It depends on the alloy used to cast the teeth vs. your bar. Stiff? Yes, there should be little difference in "stiffness" if the shape/cross section is the same.

Keep in mind that a better steel may deflect the same as mild steel for a given load, but it should not permanently deform as much. Strength and stiffness are not the same. (Believe me, the "stiffness" thing about steel has been bugging me forever, and I've done a lot of research off and on over the last year...)

You might like to take a look at this toothbar fab thread:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=31062

Apparently the FABCO shanks aren't too expensive if you get them from the right place.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM

WOW!!!! I can't believe theres tractor guys on here.(dont take that the wrong way) Anyway,Midmo,i guess the subsoilers would work (maybe),if they were the right shape.
USMCPOP,yeah thats exactly what i'm doing.As a matter of fact,i did e-mail Fabco,3 wks. ago and no response.It did tick me off.Thats when i decided to do it myself.As a matter of fact-the guy that built the toothbar you directed me to......thats the guy who i got the part #'s from.He even has the same exact tractor as i do.
Anyway,maybe i'll try them (Fabco) one more time,before i go for it with my homemade version.Guess i'll have to call.
I still can't beleive it.........tractor guys on S.F.T....and i thought nobody would know what i was talkin about........

thanks,Digger2

Last edited by digger2; 01-30-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Blast this!

There are a lot of equipment guys here. Some make their living with them ,some such as myself either from working on them or as toys.I have kept a skid steer the last 15 years just to play with.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Gold Star Dad

Digger2, I'd be tempted to call the outfit in Canada that was mentioned in the post I referenced, to see if they know what is happening, or can source the parts cheaper. And I bet you'd have better luck calling FABCO than emailing.

I'm not a tractor guy (though I love them), just an avid reader and searcher. And I am intrigued by steel
Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Curmudgeon

Hobart/schmobart. Digger2, check out DDA's toothbar thread.

And remember, the Search button can be your friend.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Ok, now that I know what you are building, and have a "unique" understanding of the device you are building (cutter knows where I get my paycheck from these days)...

the teeth you are referring to are cast for cost reasons (due to shape and volume, and needed accuracy (or lack of), and are more than likely from China. The teeth that get put on the ends are hardened steel for wear resistance, and are replaceable for that reason. the mild steel versions I picture you building will probably be stronger than the cast versions. I would look at either using the replaceable tips added to your mild steel teeth for wear, or at least hard facing them. you'd be surprised how fast some of that stuff can wear on a ground engaging tool.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Urban Gunfighter

I did a quick search on tractorbynet... http://www.excavationsupply.com/RippermTeeth.htm is a selection for some points at decent prices...

actually, if you go to tractorbynet, go into the build it yourself forum, search for toothbar... there are tons and tons of threads there. jsut be sure to post your build here...

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Guys,
Actually,i check out Tractorby net almost every day.I've searched the toothbar thing out quite a bit.That helps when you are planning even a "partial" home made project.Anyway,at least part of this thing will be of my own creation/design.Another reason i'm thinking about home made
is because i think the toothbar would work better if the teeth lined up right
in line with the bucket cutting edge.Just about all factory made bars have the teeth under the edge.Must be a reason,but i dont know what it would be.
Ah well,whatever.....i'll find out.....thanks for the info,....Digger2

P.S.-If those shanks and teeth "ARE" made in China,and i knew about it before hand,i think i'd rather go with home made.
I know its hard to do anything anymore without involving Chinese stuff,but i'm trying.....well,lets get off that before i go into a rant......If/when i get it done i'll be sure and post it. thanks again,Digger2

Last edited by digger2; 02-01-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 PM

im a heavy equipment operator by trade. the reason you dont want the teeth "lined up" with the bucket is because you wont be able to cut flat with the teeth engaged. it takes an incredible amount of ground pressure and machine weight, of which you have neither, to keep the teeth engaged without riding up out of the dirt. imagine jabbing the entire surface area of your bucket and teeth into hard ground vs only the surface area of the teeth. for a small, lightweight machine (unless its steel tracked, its lightweight to me) when youre cutting, youll only have the teeth in the ground, not the entire bucket, the dirt will peel and break up as you grade. if you try and gouge the entire works in the ground, youll either ride up on your cut or gouge a washboard rather than a smooth even cut.

Last edited by cutter; 03-15-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: remove hacker link
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Hurricane,Thanks for the info......it makes sense.I knew there was a reason
the makers of these built them this way,just did'nt know what.Guess i'll stay with the
"factory" design.Teeth below bucket.............thanks again,you just saved me a mistake.
Digger2