Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM

Default G day Hurricane

G day Hurricane
In a former career I was a teacher in a trade colledge. I taught Gas metal arc welding or mig as most know it.

From what I understand about welding aluminium you will need at least 180 and probably 200 amps to achieve spray arc mode.See the pic one of the blokes has posted and notice the bead with the smooth ripple effect.That comes about by using spray arc mode.

As was said, your little machine is straining to do get that.
as I see it, you have a couple of factors running against you.

1. 4034 wire -too soft in the smaller diameters needed in home machines like yours .Like the man said 5365 is a stiffer wire and less lible to kink.

2. Argon gas shield is necessary nothing else will be
sucessful.

3. Your peak amp output -180 at least

4.The unknown here is your home GPO .Where you plug your machine into .Ok its rated at 120 Volts ?? (I'm an Aussie Ok,and not entirely sure of your US domestic power voltage standards) but GPO 's don't give full rated output all of the time.
So maybe at peak time you are maybe getting 5 to 10% less which means if less goes in ,then surely less goes comes out. This MAY be another reason you are not getting best performance from the machine.

5.Add to this the other standard stuff your need for aluminium .ie over sized contact tip and teflon liner and a straight gun cable .ie not looped in a figure 8.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers
Ozwelder
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Quote:
contrary to popular belief, i didnt have any problems once i got the hang of it. turning the argon to about 40cf made a real big difference. i tried breaking some welds and just deformed the coupon, so theyre plenty strong.

Way to go Hurricane! Now go out and build something with your new capability!

DrBob
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM

heres some pics of my work, other than a much faster travel speed, i didnt think it was any harder than welding steel. i had a lot of 3/16 laying around, which was way more than i needed, but i wasnt gonna buy any more material than i needed. i left 1/16" gap for fitup and beveled the edges to make sure i got good penetration

i used it to reinforce the back seat of my jet boat along with creating some much needed dry storage. will be a few more months before its ready for the water again.

special thank dr bob, your advice really helped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0144.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	41219   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0145.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	41220   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0146.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	41221   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0120 (Large).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	41222  

Last edited by cutter; 03-15-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: remove hacker link
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM

I have never Mig welded Aluminum before, so I am wondering, do you burn it in, then move to the leading edge and burn it in again? or just run with it? I am going to buy a 30A soon and get some practice!

Thanks Bob
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Founder: Machining Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
heres some pics of my work, other than a much faster travel speed, i didnt think it was any harder than welding steel. i had a lot of 3/16 laying around, which was way more than i needed, but i wasnt gonna buy any more material than i needed. i left 1/16" gap for fitup and beveled the edges to make sure i got good penetration

i used it to reinforce the back seat of my jet boat along with creating some much needed dry storage. will be a few more months before its ready for the water again.

special thank dr bob, your advice really helped
I don't care if you are spraying or not, I love jet boats. Start another thread and post some details on that puppy. I want to know what you have under the hood and what type jet you are using. Lot's of pictures on the boat and action shots would be cool too!

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.