Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-31-2020, 05:24 PM
Elite Member

Default You Don’t Need a Sheet Metal Brake

Unless you are bending on a regular basis I would agree that a heavy steel table is much more useful/versatile than a metal break in most metal shops. I bought a 48” leaf break some 25 years ago. I don’t think I have used it ten times since then. In fact it is hiding in my storage room and I haven’t seen it in several years.

This steel sheet is .082” (2mm) thick and 30” long. The table it is clamped to is some sort of tooling plate I bought from the scrap yard. It is Blanchard ground and weighs 1800 lbs.

The 2x4 wood block and 8 pound hammer were also used to make this bend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAB433D7-5B53-4E83-AB1A-AB03DFBD9A37.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	155355  

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:01 PM
SFT Historian

Nice.
If there is a will there is a way.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Unless you are bending on a regular basis I would agree that a heavy steel table is much more useful/versatile than a metal break in most metal shops. I bought a 48” leaf break some 25 years ago. I don’t think I have used it ten times since then. In fact it is hiding in my storage room and I haven’t seen it in several years.

This steel sheet is .082” (2mm) thick and 30” long. The table it is clamped to is some sort of tooling plate I bought from the scrap yard. It is Blanchard ground and weighs 1800 lbs.

The 2x4 wood block and 8 pound hammer were also used to make this bend.
So you own a perfectly good brake, but decided to bash it with an 8lb hammer instead...."Classy"....
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
So you own a perfectly good brake, but decided to bash it with an 8lb hammer instead...."Classy"....
What do you expect from a man who doesn’t have a properly functioning toilet and shits on the printed faces of good looking well adjusted people?

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Elite Member

Some tips for doing something like this:

1- Like the anvil the bigger the better. Having more mass underneath will transmit more energy into the work rather than it being absorbed.

2- Preloading is important when you have a long stick-out leg like the set up shown in the picture. I like to add as much force to the bend as I can without causing any permanent bending. In the picture you can see about 100 lbs. of steel blocks clamped to the outer edge. As the bend progressed downward the weight was less affective so I added a chain hooked to the C clamp under the table and a turnbuckle on top. This not only makes the hammering process much easier, it also prevents the long leg from deforming because of the inertia it possesses.

3-Choose the right hammer and corking tool. Hammer size depends on the mass of the structure it is hitting and the width of the corking tool. As a rule the higher the mass underneath and the wider the corking tool the bigger the hammer should be.

I have bent up to 1/4” plate steel using these techniques. That process involved a 16 pound hammer and a special made corking tool on a three foot rod held by another person.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4B4C05A3-5981-4EAE-B0D6-382858083536.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	155359  

Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 AM
Elite Member

The finished bend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F5F2CE9-1707-4BFF-A73F-7C97EDFEB0FC.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	155360  

Old 04-01-2020, 09:39 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I like your table, nice find.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson