Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Dman033189
Default Precision TIG 225?

Has anybody been able to try the new Precision Tig 225 yet? We just got 8 of them delivered at work yesterday (my first time ever driving a forklift I get to unload brand new welders ) . I took them all out of their boxes today, now I am just waiting for the electrician to get them wired up. The apear to be the same as the 185 but it just has alittle more power.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 AM
I can dig it

I was surprised to see they only come with the 150 Amp aircooled torch the same as the 185.....does that make sense to anyone else?

Mark
Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 AM

As is with all manufacturers, they put the smaller torch on to keep costs down. This segment of the market is extremely competetive.....
As for the difference in the machines.....the new precision tig not has a bit more power, it also has the micro-start feature on AC welding. The early precision tig had this feature (basically an extra starting transformer for low amperage tig starts) for DC welding only. Works very well on low amp stainless and steel welding. Also has a built in 110v plug for auxilliary power.(something every machine built should have, in my opinion.)
Back to the more power portion of this story....while it is true that this machine will give you between 5 and 230 amps of welding power, the maximum power at 100% duty cycle is still only 90 amps. (same as the precision tig 185) The specs don't list the duty cycle at 230, but I would guess that it is about 10% (1 minute out of 10 at full power)
Since this segment is so competetive, these companies (especially miller and lincoln) will post or re-name their machines to keep up with the other guy. Yes, this machine is a 225 amp tig welder, but in reality, the usability of this power is quite limited. Just harken back to the horsepower wars between the big three in the late 60's. pretty much the same mentality in the welding and plasma industry.

don't get me wrong, though....I think the additions to the precision tig 185 to make it the new 225 are very nice features, especially the new micro-start II that aids in arc starting on aluminum.

(keep an eye out for the "new and improved- miller synchrowave 230! coming to a store near you!!"
Old 06-17-2006, 11:37 AM
KB Fabrications

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd
I was surprised to see they only come with the 150 Amp aircooled torch the same as the 185.....does that make sense to anyone else?

Mark
It actually does make sense. Torches are rated for 100% duty cycle so it could weld at 150 amps all day long with no problems except for being HAH to hold. You could also weld at 200 amps with that torch and have something like A 50-60% duty cycle. So, given sparx's comments regarding the units duty cycle, it seems the torch is actually a good match.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:12 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Fabrications
It actually does make sense. Torches are rated for 100% duty cycle so it could weld at 150 amps all day long with no problems except for being HAH to hold. You could also weld at 200 amps with that torch and have something like A 50-60% duty cycle. So, given sparx's comments regarding the units duty cycle, it seems the torch is actually a good match.
I often forget that duty rating on the torches are rated differently than the machines. Part of it with me is the amount of AC welding I do near the higher end, the torch gets warm (well, HAH to quote Kevin), I need to find some heavy duty steel or SS to weld up instead of the little small stuff that I've been doing.

Mark
Old 06-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Elite Member

Those machines are a improvement it peak power and on aluminum,
that is huge. That means you can get the puddle wet on thicker stuff,
where it would be a real struggle on the smaller 180/185 amp machines.
So maybe still a good hobby machine, the 200 Miller sure did weld
nice.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V
.... the 200 Miller sure did weld
nice.
Good thing I was sitting down when I read that...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Elite Member

I always post when they get it right. When they put their minds to it, they
make a fine product. When they get it wrong they keep pushing the same stuff
on people until, all of a sudden a totally new unit appears out of the blue.
I have a feeling some interesting stuff is in the pipeline and a few dogs are going
to disappear.