Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Karma Avenger

WD40 works Great!!! For mounting dirt bike tires. The soap /water based tire lubricants get into the spokes and rust them solid. It's also not a bad chain cleaner but it's a lousy lubricant.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Harbor Freight Backslider

I understand a few years ago they changed WD40's formula. the new stuff is not near as good.
Back in the 70's My friends brother, an old mechanic had Arthiritis. He used to spray his hands and elbows with WD40, he swore it relieved the pain. I guess it must have worked!

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 06-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Jim
I understand a few years ago they changed WD40's formula. the new stuff is not near as good.
Back in the 70's My friends brother, an old mechanic had Arthiritis. He used to spray his hands and elbows with WD40, he swore it relieved the pain. I guess it must have worked!
So this is really WD-41? And they're not telling us? Hmph!
Prolly getting the damned stuff made in China now, too.

I can recall a bunch of old folk that used to tell me about arthritis & WD-40. Along about that time I read an article about some chemical formula that had been developed that would carry some fairly complex compounds through permeable membranes & was being used in numerous ways such as treating burns internally to tree "surgery". So I speculated that WD-40 had it in its formula.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 06-12-2004, 02:48 PM
'Ol Pilot

Default 'Ol Pilot

The old WD-40 contained a chemical called DMSO which has the capability to permeate almost anything. I don't think WD-40 has it anymore and for good reason. DMSO was used for years in horse linament to get medication immediately to aching muscles of race horses. Problem is, it will carry any another contaminant or toxin into the body just as well. People have used WD-40 for arthritis to carry pain medication into the body quickly, but at great risk. Incidentally, a take-off on this was in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where one of the uncles was treating himself and everyone else with Windex. (Windex does no good, to my knowledge.)

Some years ago two guys up in the northwest decided that would treat pine tree borers on their property by mixing a potent pestcide with DMSO and spraying their trees. They reasoned the DMSO would immediately carry the pesticide through the bark and into the tree. What they didn't know was that the DMSO would permeate the walls of the polyproplyne container they mixed the stuff in. It got on their hands, of course and carried the pesticide into their bodies. One died at the site and the other lived long enough to tell authorities what they had done. DMSO is nothing to fool around with.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Curmudgeon

Default Dmso

Yep, that's the one, OP. I couldn't remember the order of the letters but that always seemed to be like a damned good thing to commit murder or suicide with.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 06-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Default Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO)

And is still readily available at most horse supply (tack) stores and can be very dangerous to handle as your pesticide story tells. (I call that thinning the gene pool.)

DMSO also on it own is a mild anti-inflamitory. That is likely why helped the arthiritic individuals.

I did not know DMSO was ever in WD-40. hmmmpf.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Harbor Freight Backslider

Thats interesting about the "DMSO" in old WD 40, it makes sense. I've done a little reading on that stuff, as I'm getting Arthiritis in my fingers. I guess it's genetic, my Dad had it real bad.
Here's a link for "DMSO" info:
http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?

Last edited by Fla Jim; 06-12-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Default Jim, great site.

Wow, great site, Jim. Even though the medical profession has miss the boat the Vets in the US have not.

Oh for those of you, as lightly mentioned by Jim site, DMSO stinks!! I first encountered the material in college we used it (in its hexa-duetero form) to dissolve samples for NMR analysis, were dueterated water (heavy water) was not a sufficient solvent. EVERYTHING!!! dissolved in DMSO.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley