Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-31-2006, 02:49 AM

Default what is the best auto-dark hood

So far my research says Jackson NexGen HSL100.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:23 AM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

Boy, you sure are gonna open a can of unimaginable wealth of information now.

Funny thing about auto-dark hoods and me. So many years of using the lighter flip down hoods for shop working has left me addicted to the head movement. I can weld 10 hr days on the farm and still want to raise that hood for a simple pause in welding. My hand automatically reaches for the lip of the hood by the time I realize I can see. And with the auto hood down, my head does that stupid bob a second before I pull the triger to drop what is already down. I look a little retarded at times if I'm being watched.

There's probably 10 or 15 different brands of hats, ranging from $100 up to around $375+.

I've seen some of the lower $ hoods that worked as cheaply as they cost. Stay away.

Personally, not being into color schemes, flames, skeleton heads or the need to have a welding machines logo plastered across the top, a basic designed hood that looked close to what I liked to wear in the past was my first buying point. That and looking for one that had the full view lense.

Second point that drove my purchase were the brands that the LWS in town was pushing. Looking at the prices there left me going back to the farm and using the 20 year old hood that worked just fine for awhile longer.

Finally, after doing a search here at SFT about which hoods some of the members used and checking the prices on-line, I went back to the LWS and found one that was new/used, still in the box and plastic. Bought, opened but obviously never used. Lucky find.

$100 cash out the door and it works fine. The mod # is something like XLI. Priced around $150 or a little higher maybe.

My point is, if you like the fit of the Jackson and the price is right for you, then you should find satisfaction in that investment. Jackson makes a good hood.

I know that eyesight is very important to protect and that some of the hoods out there aren't worth the risk.(cheapies/Imports). Still, with that in my mind, I can't see having to spend $375 for the convience of auto-dark either.

But I would have spent 200.

FWIW: Cyberweld, which handles decent products and resonable pricing, has your hood priced at $251 and some change, + shipping.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-31-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:01 PM

Miller BWE has my vote.
Bulldog
Miller Matic 251 MIA
Miller Matic 350P/Python
Miller 12 RC suitcase wire feeder
Miller Trailblazer 302
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX W/Tig Runner
Miller Spectrum 1000
Miller Spectrum 2050
Miller Stars and stripes BWE digital
Miller Joker BWE
Miller Black BWE and 2 Star and strip xlix's
Old 03-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Curmudgeon

Keenavv - not to get personal, but do you wear biforcals?
If you do, that matters. I had to get a Big Window Elite like Bulldog's before I could get my bifocals
and cheater aligned through the helmet lense. That little extra strip at the bottom made all the
difference for me. You might want to try one on - especially if you need the cheater like I did.
And if you haven't tried the cheaters, you might want to try one of those before you tie up
$200-$300 on the wrong helmet.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-01-2006, 12:25 AM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

The HSL-100 is by far my favorite. One lens for all cutting, welding & grinding is really convenient.

The sealed switches are bulletproof, and easy to change the setting when you want to. With four sensors, there's almost always one to trip the lens, even when you're way inside a deep weldment.

Works well down to 10 amps (probably less, although the TIG is seldom set below 10A).

Although it's not in their catalog or website, I believe HTP is selling this model. They'll always match or beat the best price you can find - be sure to ask for the Uncle Barry price if you call. Steve or Jeff are the people to ask for. http://www.htpweld.com/
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Grumpy Bastard

I have owned 2 Jackson's the electronics are fine, the head gear sucks. When you spend ~$200 on a hood you expect the head gear to be bullet proof. I have a Speedglas now, love it would not go back. I tried on Optrel the were comfortable and light but it is French owned so no beans there.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
When you spend ~$200 on a hood you expect the head gear to be bullet proof.
The headgear sucks on my BWE. It won't stay adjusted, the side screws get loose & fall out and it screeches. But I can see through it and that's the bottom line for me. No matter how nice anything else is if you can't see through the window, it don't matter.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 04-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
The headgear sucks on my BWE. It won't stay adjusted, the side screws get loose & fall out and it screeches. But I can see through it and that's the bottom line for me. No matter how nice anything else is if you can't see through the window, it don't matter.
spend 40 hrs a week under one it will matter.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Big Iron

I have to vote for Speedglas, even though the rivets in the headgear keep trying to pull out what is left of my hair....
That aside, it always works no matter what.Hot, cold, rain,snow, dropped,thrown etc.
And, It is small, and very light
Old 04-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
spend 40 hrs a week under one it will matter.
But if you can't see through it, would you be under it 40 hours?

Just Keep Walking