Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Default Is this salvageable? If so, please advise. Ugly Tig weld

I had a stainless keg cnc machined for precise holes to have stainless ferrules sanitary Tig welded in place for a unitank to be used in beer fermentation. I'm no expert, but I think I paid a welder who never should have taken this on.
Is there anything that can be done to fix the welds? Clean and passivate? Or scrap it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143404945.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	149509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143353278.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	149510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143308813.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	149511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143139790_TOP.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	149512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143129142.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	149513  

Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Is this salvageable? If so, please advise. Ugly Tig weld

Is there any way to clean and salvage this work?
This is for a unitank fermentor. Used in home brewing. I've got a bad feeling I wasted money on this weld job.
Any advice would be awesome
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143404945.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	149514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143337834.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	149515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143353278.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	149516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143259830.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	149517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190218_143129142.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	149518  

Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Wait, you paid someone for that?

Unfortunately probably unsalvageable at this point, especially for a food grade tank.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Auction Addict

If you paid someone to that you should ask for your money back. It can be salvaged by grinding out most of the weld and running a new pass.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulconel View Post
Wait, you paid someone for that?

Unfortunately probably unsalvageable at this point, especially for a food grade tank.
Ok, Now I feel like a professional welder after seeing that

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Oy Vey!! That's about as bad a job of welding SS as I've ever seen. Salvageable? Well, yeah--just about any weld job can be "saved" if you have the time and money. Is it worth it? Probably not. By the time you grind everything off you'll likely be able to save the vessel itself but I'd sacrifice the fittings in order to do that. Obviously seeing the tank would give me a better idea.

We do a certain amount of sanitary work now--used to to a ton of it years ago. I have no idea what the fit was like for those welds but when you're dealing with light gauge SS the fit can be very important. To do a proper sanitary weld you need to purge the inside of the vessel or tube with argon, that way you'll get a perfect, clean seam on the inside as well.

I guess for a home brew setup as long as the thing doesn't leak you would be OK but--at least around here anyway--if a health inspector saw that he would immediately condemn the whole thing...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM

It's as bad as I feared. I went to pick it up and he had it in his living room in front of his wife. I was not wanting to have at it right then. I'm more than pissed. The keg can be replaced easy enough, but fittings and cancel cutting I'm out $200. Then "Tig practice" I'm out $260. I'll be doing my due diligence to collect that back. Thanks for confirming my fears. Live and learn. I just don't understand why the work was taken on after scope and expectations were clearly explained...
Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Oy Vey!! That's about as bad a job of welding SS as I've ever seen. Salvageable? Well, yeah--just about any weld job can be "saved" if you have the time and money. Is it worth it? Probably not. By the time you grind everything off you'll likely be able to save the vessel itself but I'd sacrifice the fittings in order to do that. Obviously seeing the tank would give me a better idea.

We do a certain amount of sanitary work now--used to to a ton of it years ago. I have no idea what the fit was like for those welds but when you're dealing with light gauge SS the fit can be very important. To do a proper sanitary weld you need to purge the inside of the vessel or tube with argon, that way you'll get a perfect, clean seam on the inside as well.

I guess for a home brew setup as long as the thing doesn't leak you would be OK but--at least around here anyway--if a health inspector saw that he would immediately condemn the whole thing...
I really don't understand. The holes were cut precise through CNC. The fits are tight. The filler looked to be waaaay too thick and the heat too much. I grilled him before the job and said he used to weld sanitary stainless in dairy applications regularly. I the waste of time (his and my own). And especially the waste of money
Old 02-18-2019, 09:53 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarky13 View Post
...The filler looked to be waaaay too thick and the heat too much...
Thing is, with a properly fitted and back-purged weld you don't normally need filler.

Quote:
...I grilled him before the job and said he used to weld sanitary stainless in dairy applications regularly...
Must have been a long time ago. I think he's lost his touch... My brother is 69, can't see near as well as he used to and is a lot shakier than he once was but just last week we did a small sanitary job and the welds came out just fine...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarky13 View Post
I really don't understand. The holes were cut precise through CNC. The fits are tight. The filler looked to be waaaay too thick and the heat too much. I grilled him before the job and said he used to weld sanitary stainless in dairy applications regularly. I the waste of time (his and my own). And especially the waste of money
Ya he welded on dairy stuff. If he was good he would still be doing it.

Tags
stainless steel, tig welding