Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Voice of Experience

Default I can see...

Got to the point I couldn't see to weld.. Had cataracts removed and I can now weld without glasses. I can even read the expiration date on a HF coupon without glasses...Highly recommend it for all you old farts....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 07-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Auction Addict

Wish I was that fortunate. I have no cataracts but still need to use cheaters for the HF coupons.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 07-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Cataract surgeries cleared up a nearly all of my vision problems but not the close-up, fine print part of it. But then, I never have had good near-vision.
It did wonders for color perception and distance vision but I still need bifocals.

On my last visit to my opthalmologist I mentioned that I didn't seem to see as clearly as I did a year ago & was told that I had a developing condition that would require a little laser touchup to remove some occlusions. Dr. McCartney said that it's normal, something "we all get if we live long enough" but that it is a "one & done procedure". He wanted me to wait 6 months to a year because the severity wasn't sufficient for insurance/medicare to cover it at the time.
He also said that yes, my prescription could be slightly improved but that the difference would probably not be noticeable because I was probably seeing the occlusions, not the vision change.
So I expect to have that done in December or January.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-05-2018, 01:25 AM

Rod,

Was it Yag Capsulotomy (procedure is done with a Yag Laser) that your ophthalmologist mentioned?

Dave
Old 07-05-2018, 02:52 AM
Curmudgeon

I'm not sure he even used a name for it, Dave but the procedure & description of the conditions sound right.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Boiler God

In between the the cancer related medical issues, the wife had the laser cataract surgery on the right eye a month ago and the left eye, done 2 weeks ago. She said she can see better, but her vision in her left eye is still stabilizing, she has an appointment to get new glasses in about another 2 weeks.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Voice of Experience

Forgot to mention I now have very good near vision but need glasses for distance..

Also if you are on medicare and have part B medicare will cover 80% for one pair of glasses after cataract surgery. I payed $65 and could get reimbursed by Tricare but think I will pass. Too much hassle..

Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Voice of Experience

One more thing. A lot of vets don't know they can get glasses at the VA..Have a pair being made for me rat now...

Old 07-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Voice of Experience

Another update for military retired. Called Tricare for life. Medicare will automatically send them notice of what they didn't cover. TFL will reimburse that amount. So glasses will wind up being no charge to retiree. If not retired medicare will still cover 80% but the 20% will be out of pocket or paid by supplemental insurance..

Since we spend a shit load of money on illegals I don't feel like a mooch for getting a free pair of glasses...

Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 PM

I had cataract surgery in spring of 2013, both eyes, vision improved greatly. After a couple of years things got a little fuzzy. I had the Yag Capsulotomy in December 2016, both eyes and vision improved to even better than after the cataract surgery and has remained great. I saw two doctors in the morning and had the procedure midday. I had to log into a surgery center but actually had the procedure in a small office with me on one side of a desk and the doctor on the other with the laser between us. Each eye took less than 1-1/2 minutes. The only discomfort was "scratchy eye" and light sensitivity; my eyes had been dilated. I was like "better than new" by days end. I highly recommend this procedure for anyone who needs it. There's a lot of information on the internet about this. The following link explains it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EA8kxzGAc

Dave

P.S.: My vision is pretty good without glasses but I still wear bifocals. This doesn't bother me because this way I always have "something" in front of my eyes.