Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 AM
Boiler God

Default More AXA Blocks

I had to order another 10 AXA block from CDCO, hopefully Frank the Chinaman will be as fast as the last time. I have ordered a new high buck parting tool, so I'll have to open at least 4 of them out to hold the 3/4" tool and making a new series of boring bar holders.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 PM
SFT Historian

I wonder how well a corn-cob roughing end mill will cut them, then finish with a carbide.

At one time all corn-cobs were assumed to be cobalt M42.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

They must be small toolholders if you have to "open them up" to 3/4"--the Multifix holders I buy will take either 1" or 1-1/4" tools.

There's a good chance you be able to cut them with a roughing end mill; depends on what kind of steel is used. I've seen some toolholders that were soft as butter and others that were pretty tough. I modify my toolholders by adding extra holes so I can mount both a LH and RH tool in one toolholder. Some have drilled and tapped pretty easily but others have been a b*tch...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
They must be small toolholders if you have to "open them up" to 3/4"--the Multifix holders I buy will take either 1" or 1-1/4" tools.

There's a good chance you be able to cut them with a roughing end mill; depends on what kind of steel is used. I've seen some toolholders that were soft as butter and others that were pretty tough. I modify my toolholders by adding extra holes so I can mount both a LH and RH tool in one toolholder. Some have drilled and tapped pretty easily but others have been a b*tch...

Over the years, I done over 200 of them, some to 5/8" and most to 3/4", a 1/2", 4 flute, carbide end mill does the job. Its just time consuming, they take about 15 minutes, from start to finish. They are very hard, if I go any faster, it ruins end mills. Regular roughing mills will not touch them, maybe a carbide rougher, but the dirt cheap, no brand, Fastenal supplied end mills, do the job, I average about 10-12 block per end mill.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Boiler God

I took 3 of the remaining AXA blocks I had to make individual boring bar holders. I don't like holding them in an AXA block, with the set screws, I prefer a sleeve type holder, that hold the bar tightly. Tonight, with some lathe and mill work, I finished up the 3 new boring bar holders. I now have separate holders for;

1/4"
6 mm
7 mm
5/16"
8 mm
3/8"
10 mm
12 mm
1/2"
5/8"
3/4"

all of them now offer a tight solid grip on the boring bar, with no change of slippage.

They are all similar to the one in the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boring bar holders 001x.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	135635   Click image for larger version

Name:	boring bar holders 005x.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	135636   Click image for larger version

Name:	boring bar holders 2 001xyz.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	135637  
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 PM
The Real Deal

Nice I will have to copy.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 AM

Seems like overkill to me. Over the years I can't recall ever having a boring bar move in a holder and I'm talking some big bars with a lot of torque on them. Do the smaller holders flex? Or is there some other problem?

Old 09-20-2016, 04:54 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Seems like overkill to me. Over the years I can't recall ever having a boring bar move in a holder and I'm talking some big bars with a lot of torque on them. Do the smaller holders flex? Or is there some other problem?

the smaller boring bars, don't set solidly in the V if the holder, the boring bars have a flat bottom and a too small to wedge against the back of the holder. Their small diameter, off set them from under the set screws. I have no problems with the boring bars above 1/2".
Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
the smaller boring bars, don't set solidly in the V if the holder, the boring bars have a flat bottom and a too small to wedge against the back of the holder. Their small diameter, off set them from under the set screws...
Yeah, I see what your problem is--makes sense now. The flat bottom of a small bar isn't going to have a very good base to sit on if there's a V-shaped groove in the way...

Old 09-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Something's Fishy ...

I have a pretty good collection of tool holders some with the v groove and some without I just avoid the grooved ones if they are not the best choice.
I also use a filler between thte tool and the screws if I am concerned about marking or holding power.