Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Curmudgeon

Moe, I don't know about the "Extreme" but I would never buy another Miller 375 like mine.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Hypertherm!

That is from someone who owns/owned Miller units.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 08-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Elite Member

When I bought my Hypertherm PM45 about 4 years ago, one of the deciding factors was the internet chatter (say WHUT??!?) - to clarify, Hypertherm was the ONLY plasma I couldn't find a SINGLE NEGATIVE comment on (other than price) - I think most of us realize that somewhere, somehow, there will ALWAYS be an "internet authority" that'll badmouth solid gold just to convince himself he's an "expert" -

That "vacuum" of negativity, along with comments from the dozen or so welders in our weld shop, and I've never been sorry.

Consumables - yeah, they're a bit more - but put the air treatment ahead of it you SHOULD with ANY plaz, and they will probably outlast most if not all others.

Just another happy (Hyper) camper... Steve
Old 08-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

I do not have any experience with Hypertherm but I do own a Miller Spectrum 2050, I like it. Zero problems and it cuts everything I want it to.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

I never liked the Miller units with the Hypertherm torches.(at all) Just never cared for how they worked/felt. I think the newer XT-30 are much nicer now..Very cheap consumables for them. The Extreme is somewhat based on the Maxstar 150 platform, so pretty safe bet for that model. Torch is a bit fat, but if it fits your hand, then it will work fine for you. New hypertherm torches are a different matter. (Very good)

If you could wait for the Zoro tools 30% off coupon, and use the miller $75.00 cash back $968.35 for that model. Certainly a fine unit at that price..
Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Elite Member

I bleed blue when it comes to welders, but the limited experience I've had with their plasma cutters wasn't great - not bad, just not great.

The guys in the shop rave about the Hypertherms. I like them on CNC equipment a lot, but they aren't my favorite for handheld.

My choice for handheld is Thermal dynamics. I spent a lot of time with a pakmaster 52 and loved it.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

Moe, if you have dry air the consumables are negligible.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Moe, I don't know about the "Extreme" but I would never buy another Miller 375 like mine.

Splain please....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
When I bought my Hypertherm PM45 about 4 years ago, one of the deciding factors was the internet chatter (say WHUT??!?) - to clarify, Hypertherm was the ONLY plasma I couldn't find a SINGLE NEGATIVE comment on (other than price) - I think most of us realize that somewhere, somehow, there will ALWAYS be an "internet authority" that'll badmouth solid gold just to convince himself he's an "expert" -

That "vacuum" of negativity, along with comments from the dozen or so welders in our weld shop, and I've never been sorry.

Consumables - yeah, they're a bit more - but put the air treatment ahead of it you SHOULD with ANY plaz, and they will probably outlast most if not all others.

Just another happy (Hyper) camper... Steve

One of the reasons I'm asking y'all is the absence of any negative comments elsewhere....here comments don't start with once upon a time, rather this ain't no bullshit...that's what I like best about SFT...

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
I never liked the Miller units with the Hypertherm torches.(at all) Just never cared for how they worked/felt. I think the newer XT-30 are much nicer now..Very cheap consumables for them. The Extreme is somewhat based on the Maxstar 150 platform, so pretty safe bet for that model. Torch is a bit fat, but if it fits your hand, then it will work fine for you. New hypertherm torches are a different matter. (Very good)

If you could wait for the Zoro tools 30% off coupon, and use the miller $75.00 cash back $968.35 for that model. Certainly a fine unit at that price..

Zoro seems to have the best pricing and free shipping on $50+..Don't take much to get there..The XT I'm looking at includes the filter and consumable kits with free shipping...

When does the 30% coupon appear??