Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 PM
More STEAM!!

Default machine work

Isn't any one doing any machine work anymore?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Post Fiend

I work on machines every day.

So yes.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie C View Post
Isn't any one doing any machine work anymore?
I did some machining today. Since we're a jobbing shop we don't do machining every day but we do use the machines--lathe and mill--fairly often...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Like Keith I use mine as much as work and time permit.
As I am currently back at Mount Polley on a short term contract my shop is idle right now.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Elite Member

With the metal shop classes only two days a week for me and this week only one, more of my machining is in the garage on WOOD .:-)
..lew...
Old 10-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Elite Member

With my new engineering position I went from machining all day every day to about 8 hours per week give or take. I just do fixture work or a hot one-off like I did yesterday afternoon. It breaks the day up nicely to get in the shop for a little bit.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 AM

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a machinist. Rather, I am an old retired guy who loves to make and repair things. Recently, using my Rockwell lathe, Bridgeport and Miller Mig welder, I made a holding fixture for the aluminum head from my latest vehicle restoration. Several tools, drifts and gages for valve guides and seats were also made to use when rebuilding the head.

I also made an adapter to use an engine stand as a wire wheel truing fixture which required the lathe,mill and welder to be used.

I made a push block to remove the dry liners from the engine block; devised a removing tool utilizing the said push block and acme threaded rod. Don't know if this will work yet, though.

This all took about two weeks because I can only spend 2-3 hours at a time at the shop and I have many other duties there too.

Richard
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

I need to get out in the shop and make a rod for a lady that called the other afternoon. It should provide a couple hours worth of entertainment.

This thing is not anything more than a rod with a slit down the middle for winding ribbon and other sewing sundries. She makes big bucks off buying large spools of the stuff and putting it on smaller spools, in kits to make projects. Apparently the 'commercially available' rods for this purpose are not small enough, most likely because they're easily bent and broken. She said she's made a number of them out of wooden dowels and is hoping metal will help. Who knows...I'm just gonna cut a slit in a rod and then turn it down to see how small I can get it before something goes boom.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
...As I am currently back at Mount Polley on a short term contract my shop is idle right now.
Yeah, ya bum, I shouldn't have told you I was coming to visit...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Elite Member

My "newbie" machining efforts kinda got put on the back burner til I get things ready for yet another eternal rain - needed to re-slope the driveway down to my shop, which required first removing the bulk of the 1-1/2"minus rock to a separate pile, then feathering the slope about 3 feet in the middle of a 80 foot run, piling that dirt elsewhere, then re-placing the rock, compacting it a bit and smoothing it a BIG bit, etc - included the "parking area" off the end of the shop (about 50 x 60 feet)

Of course, the ripper cylinder on my Gannon box blade decided to finally leak too much during this time, the old AC 160 decided to get an air leak on the hydraulic sump line so the pump wouldn't pull fluid into the intake, etc... Also had to replace one hose on the 580. Only 4 more cylinders on the hoe and 2 more on the loader that need kits

The "earth moving" parts are now done, still have a couple areas that need tarped for the winter - on my hill, this means "good for 100 mph winds", so takes a bit more time than it should

Hope to get back on the quick attach system for the hoe loader when the rains hit, which should mean more inane questions for Cutter, Jack, Gwiz, et al

The GOOD news (to me, anyway) is that there's no way in hell I'm gonna get BORED til AFTER they "pat me in the face with a shovel" ...Steve