Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Default tungsten recommendation

My company is being forced into new and unsure waters so to speak.

For the past 30 years, we've done aluminum, and only aluminum. Now our new corporate ownership wants us to start welding stainless.

Our first project is TIG welding grids using .048" thick 304 stainless slats. We have to tack weld the intersections, using no filler, 100% argon.

What size/type tungsten would you recommend for this? Is there a special tip grind necessary for stainless?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 PM

If i were doing this project I would use 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten ground with a taper that is around 1/4 inch long. I would seek out the best Inverter machine (or Lincoln square wave) in the shop and set the amperage around 10. DCSP, hi freq or lift arc would be preferable to scratch start, but at such a low amperage scratch would work too. I would clean/de-grease the area thoroughly, to minimize the arc time establishing the puddle. I would also clamp the pieces tightly and as close to the joint as possable. I had to weld a lot of glycol trace tubing ( at a brewery) a couple of years ago. It was 1/2", .035 wall tube. I welded it with a continuos purge, the above mentioned tungsten and a Lincoln Invertec set on 12 amps. It was an autogonus weld but occasionally I needed some filler wire, in which case I used some SS tag wire (used for securing valve ID tags) very thin material. It was exceptable because they were glycol lines. Best wishes.