Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 AM
That HURT!

Default Jet bandsaw

Two years ago I was looking to buy a bandsaw and after looking at all the options (Jet, HF, Griz, tool gypsie ) I bought the Jet 5 x 6 model HVBS-56M from Penn Tool. Here is the thread about that purchase http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8736 The saw did exactly what I wanted it to do, it cut straight and true right out of the box and I never had to treak this or tweak that to make it cut good. I have had it now for 2 years and I have been through about 8 or 9 blades, I probably would have only used about 4 blades if I was the only one using it but Trevor has a way with pushing things to the limit

The only complaint I have is the same one that everyone else with a 4 x 6 bandsaw has.....the stand sucks. It's too low and it's flimsy (although the Jet stand is 3 times better than the HF stand, it's still a POS.

So I half-*** built a new stand for the saw about a year ago but once I mounted the saw to the stand, I never finished it. I will admit that I have a problem starting things and never finishing them and leaving them half finished, but I'm trying to remedy that. No matter how big a shop you have, floor space is always factor. I try to keep everything mobile and put wheels on everything, but the bandsaw still takes up a fair amount of real estate so I decided to make it fold up to a smaller foot print.

Pic #1&2 is the unfinished stand, it was funtional but incomplete for over a year.

Pic #3 is the stand after I finished welding all the hinge brackets, supports, and a libberal dose of rattle can.

Pic #4 I also made a stock feed roller. I basically copied the one that HF sells for $9.99 only I used real steel and put ball bearings in the roller.

Pic #5 The feed roller folds up and stores in brackets on the band saw stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1124.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	36576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1123.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	36577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1125.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	36578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1127.JPG
Views:	604
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	36579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1128.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	36580  

Last edited by rmack898; 10-02-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Per Tommy's request
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM
That HURT!

Default Continued

The place where I buy all my steel is also an industrial flea market of sorts, you never know what you might find there. A while back they had these wheels from electric power chairs for $12. They were brand new non-marking tires mounted on nice machined aluminum wheels with top quality sealed bearings. I couldn't pass them up and bought a few of them for future use. I used 2 of them for this stand.

The only modification I made to the Jet saw was to the miter fence. Needing to use a wrench to adjust the fence was a major pain in the butt, so I made a flex handle and non-turning bolt to lock the fence in place.

Since I was on a roll actually finishing a project, before I called it done, I made a removable swarf catch pan that attaches to the stand. This should eliminate the mess under the saw after it has been used for a while.

After 2 years of moderate to hard use, the Jet saw is a winner in my book. I still would like to have an Ellis and if I ever get one, I'll still keep the Jet because it's a good saw for the money.

Pic #1 The too cl to pass up wheels

Pic #2&3 The fence lock handle

Pic #4 The swarf pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1132.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	36581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1129.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	36582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1130.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	36583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1131.JPG
Views:	517
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	36584  
Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Wow! Nice work, Mac.

I love the color, too!

Scott
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

That stand is awesome Mac, more durable, functional, and better looking than anything you'd usually find under one of those saws.

I'll add in here about your "too cl to pass up wheels": YOU SUCK!!!

I recognized them instantly from my dealings with Dad's Rascal (I hate that machine, really...). If you ever find them going flat or need more weight on the stand, go have those puppies filled with foam. They'll last forever then. And, at a regular price of $70+ each you got a heck of a deal on them. It costs me $100 to get one shipped over this way, and I replace about 3 a year!!!

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Curmudgeon

Good looking stand, Mack.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Nicely done, Mack. I like the way it saves space.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Great job! That's one fine looking stand, my favorite feature is the tray that catches the stuff. Do you ever have a piece fall off and knock the tray? Maybe put a small bar across to keep any large drops from taking out the tray. Great job!
--Bob

Scars are tattoos with character...
Millr 210 with 3035 spoolgn, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, 4.5, 9 inch grindrs, chopsw.

Owner
www.snowblowerskids.com
ARMORskids: Strongest snowblower shoes on the planet. Specifically designed for cracked uneven sidewalks and gravel.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Below Wholesale

The stand is an outSTANDing idea. I think I will take a little of that idea for my own one!

Last edited by Cavalry; 10-02-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 PM
That HURT!

Thanks guys. After looking at what others had done for stands, I stole what I thought were the best features from all of them and rolled them into this one.

Scott, I figured you would say something about the color. Lowes was closing out that color and I bought all they had for 1$ a can, I have over a case of smurf left.

Dub, after buying 2 of thoses wheels and realalizing what a good deal they actually were, I went back and bought 4 more before they sold out. I'm sure something else in my shop will become mobile in style.

Bob, the pan only extends the width of the saw by 2" and it is mostly forward of the fence, so the drops clear the pan.