Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I can dig it

Default Bought a South Bend today...

I went and looked at a South Bend today, the tag says it's a 15", and 8' bed. I can't seem to find any data or specs showing a 15", is this a different size than what I'm thinking?

I came to an agreement with the seller, and will go back in a couple weeks to bring it home. I did forget to jot down the serial number though!!

In addition to the tooling shown, there is also another 3 jaw, and a 4 jaw chuck. Machine seems to be very well looked after, with little backlash on the dials, and everything feels nice and smooth. I have to admit, I can't say I noticed a drill chuck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	860d_20.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	35973   Click image for larger version

Name:	865f_20.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	35974   Click image for larger version

Name:	8610_20.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	35975   Click image for larger version

Name:	8644_20.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	35976  
Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

If You don't mind, what was the agreement?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Gold Star Dad

There were some good replies over at Practical Machinist. The Steve Wells South Bend site they mentioned is really good. Check the picture from the 1933 "O" series catalog there:

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/.../scan0009.html
Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Below Wholesale

I use to run a 16" underdrive but pretty much the same machine. It was old and beat but still could turn out some decent work
Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I can dig it

USMC, I saw the link on PM, thanks!! I had searched and read a lot of South Bend sites over time, but had never found his. I love the scans of the old books and catalogs etc!

OM, I got it for $1000, all setup ready to run, with a 3hp 220V motor, I think all I will have to do is set it up and change the plug. The only thing I may change in time is to remove the legs and build a stand with storage for it, if/when I do, the legs would be stored in case anyone ever wants to swap it back to original.

It looks to be in really good shape, I'd say the cross slide had no more than 15-20 thou of backlash, the compound even less.

There's a micrometer stop, threading dial, and steadyrest with it too, as well as a bunch of toolbits and other stuff.

I know I won't be able to wind it up like the newer machines, and don't plan on it either....doubt I'll ever even try using carbide tooling on it, unless it's something very specific. I suspect it will take me a try or two to get my sharpening skills back up to snuff!

I have to see if I can get out to the shop to start making room......funny how things snowball isn't it?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Lord of the Minions

That is a really good looking machine. Overhead gear drive is sweet.

Good find and for the price, You suck!

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
doubt I'll ever even try using carbide tooling on it, unless it's something very specific.
why is that? Even before I went to indexable carbide I still was using you-grind-it carbide. There are only a few select reasons I will ever use HSS again!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
why is that? Even before I went to indexable carbide I still was using you-grind-it carbide. There are only a few select reasons I will ever use HSS again!
Everyone I know that has or uses an older lathe like this seems to find that carbide is no real advantage, simply because the machine isn't designed for the sort of spindle speeds carbide is designed to run at. I may have jumped the gun on my statement, I'll likely try it, but suspect that I'll end up sticking primarily to HSS.

Another thing about HSS is that between the tooling that comes with it, and what I already have, I can likely turn for years without spending a penny on inserts or carbide. Though I may have to buy another grinding wheel for resharpening.

I've got into discussions about these older lathes before (some folks are big promoters of new import stuff) and for me, this seemed the best way to go. Sure it's old. So what? The stuff that I will be turning is largely aluminum, and easy to work with. Beyond that, I want to use it for my projects and enjoyment. I love the look and feel of these older machines, and when I turn it on, I really don't mind (in fact I would enjoy it!) if it takes longer than a newer machine.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Voice of Experience

Just keep those headstock bearing oil cups at least half full..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I can dig it

Yea, I've got a couple weeks until I pick it up, I hope to figure out what oils I need and stock up in the meantime. I also will have to think about what/how I'm going to protect it from moisture/condensation in my current little shop, seeing as it's unheated. (I need a new shop!!)