Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Ring markings mean squat here. ‘Owning’ a bottle is basically a lifetime lease, as they are always exchanged, never refilled.

So it really depends where you are located.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
That, May not. mean "JS" there! But, It does here and matters here!
So the information provided is for where it Does Matter!

And, it does pay here, to know what your buying... (Again, "Here") larger owned bottles means less time running to get refills. owning the real ownership size bottles means, No hassles, and not having a bottle confiscated because you bought it from some jack off on CL claiming "Oh yeah I own it"

And here AG can be real assholes, And for "Newbies" getting into using gases why not point them in the right direction instead of left...

So, Why not! just play by the rules "accordingly to the geographical regions!"
If, Most LWS counter help, didn't make up their own rules as they go. It would not be so confusing for the Newbie as they, "the counter help" see, oh, an "FNG." walking through the doors.

When there is nothing wrong, in pointing someone in the right direction... Or,
giving the regular repeat customer a price break...

So, geographical regions! Make all the difference. plus new laws here in the state also says it is "illegal" for transporting more than 4-6 bottles at a time unless permitted to do so. and certain gasses Can Not! be transported laying down!

As well as AG employees are no longer allowed to remove or replace a bottle in your vehicle any longer... you have to unload and load on your own... So Again "Here" is where some of us start to rethink the size of bottles we use for sheer convenience sake.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I have always been suspicious of "owned" bottles for sale, especially when sold very cheap. Because they are not cheap to buy at all.
I have a small argon bottle that cost $300 from KMS tools. If I sold it the lowest I would go would be half the new.

The only time it pays to own, is if you use so little of it that your rental lasts 2 years or more. Then you should buy.
Gerry. That is prolly the best attitude for someone to have. and good sound advice...

But if knowing what you are looking at when buying used bottles. "scum bags" can't pull the wool over someone's eyes and they can Ricky Tick walk away...

I personally like large owner bottles for the shop. and own a few
but for mobile work, I don't want to drag a heavy "Commercial size" bottle around.

So, I use smaller bottles according to the application I have bottles all the way down to the little HVAC O/A for this reason.

I'm prolly guessing here but would assume most others do as well, doing what we do.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:52 PM
I can dig it

In the past, my gas use was often almost nothing for weeks, or months. Sometimes years. I’d need a small amount for a repair here and there. Then when a large project came along I’d use a bunch in a short period of time.

Where I was, anything over 100 cubic feet of gas was lease only, no customer owned tanks. Smaller tanks can be leased, my guess is that not many folks do. The first tank I had was leased, when I went to renew the rent they asked why didn’t I just buy it. The numbers made more sense so that’s what I did.

I found that the welding supply would swap any of the small tanks for different gases. So I started watching, and found that it was often easy to find deals on acetylene b tanks like the plumbers commonly use. I also put the word out and would get calls from friends, I ended up with three tanks that were found in a dumpster, a couple from yard sales, and other strange places.

I never had issues swapping them out for useful (to me) tanks. The guys would even say that some were likely either owned tanks, or leased tanks that got ‘lost’ and wrote off, and just swapped them out for me.

Over the last 20 years I’m up somewhere around twenty to twenty five tanks. There’s a batch at my brothers place in Ontario, another in storage, and I brought eight or so west with me, enough to have each of the 4 main gases I use, and a spare of each.

I haven’t swapped any out here yet, in fact today is likely the first day that I’ll be using the welders since I got out here.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

The only time it pays to own, is if you use so little of it that your rental lasts 2 years or more. Then you should buy.
At one time, I had a small leased cylinder of welding gas for a small wire feed welder. The annual lease was 107$. A new tank at the time was 300$. I sold the welder and gave the purchaser the gas. He returned the cylinder and bought one. The lease was up, but Air Liquide's credit department hounded me for two years for lease payment, Even though the cylinder had been returned (with paperwork.)

I inherited Dad's oxy acet torches complete with the b size acetylene and 80 cu.ft. oxygen tanks. They were Air Liqide customer owned tanks. They are quite old ,but still 1/3 full. Should be interesting when I need a refill.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:02 AM

Default choices

my steel supply/LWS wants to charge me additional $ for out-of-date cylinders..allows two years max if you have a leased cylinder,if its any older than that(like if you kept it inactive for 5yrs or so) then they want to add a $22 charge per cylinder to your exchange fill cost to cover 'hydro test' of the cylinder because you had it out too long..what horses#$t is that? just another way for them to make money off of you. Ive been doing business with them for over 30years and that's the way? I asked them politely, 'what the hell?' and the reply was "take it or leave it buddy"..I guess I'm going to have to review the language in my lease contract. Might be time to get a new gas supplier.
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room