Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 PM
I can dig it

Default Possible new shop?

I’m looking at the possibility of a second garage at the house in Alberta. It would serve two main functions there, it would become the primary ‘shop’ space, for the equipment and working space, as well as a garage for my truck at times.

The current garage on the house is reasonable, about 22’ x 22’ inside, though when SWMBO has the requirement of indoor parking in that space, it gets reduced severly. Even empty it would be a real squeeze to fit the truck, as it’s within inches on both length and height with the 7’ overhead door. Add in the tools and equipment and the truck will never fit.

The lot has the additional feature of a side, and rear access alley. I’m flying out again shortly, and plan to look at size, setbacks etc to conform with building code requirements. I think, that if I go across the back of the lot, we wouldn’t lose a big chunk of the currently open yardspace, and it would create additional outdoor parking.

Right now I’m looking at 20’ x 30’, with 10’ high walls, and a 9’ x 16’ doublewide overhead door. Depending on height rules, I will look at bumping that up if possible and aim for a 10’ high door.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Isn't Canadia metric.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-04-2018, 05:07 PM
I can dig it

Officially, yes. Unofficially, we’re more like our prime minister, we’re a bastard child when it comes to measurement.

Building materials here are all Imperial nominal sizing, though if you really want to work in metric, it is possible to find the metric sizes in textbooks etc.

Same goes for all our steel/metal sizes too.

I guess when it comes to measurement, I could be considered ‘bi-lingual’. I can quickly convert nominal sizes in my head. It helps that I’m also fairly adept at basic math.

1” = 25.4 mm
0.01 mm = .004”
1 metre is approx. 39”
80 kms is 50 miles
1 kg is 2.2 pounds.

I grew up learning metric in school, but surrounded by imperial measurement elsewhere. Helping my dad, as a mechanic, used imperial/fractional wrenches and sockets.

Any building would be done using inches and feet.

The majority of machining and tooling I’ve dealt with has been imperial, however, depending on the customer, I’ve also done a lot of work in metric. Most of my measuring tools I have both. Or they’re digital so switch easily from one to the other.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Officially, yes. Unofficially, we’re more like our prime minister, we’re a bastard child when it comes to measurement.

Building materials here are all Imperial nominal sizing, though if you really want to work in metric, it is possible to find the metric sizes in textbooks etc.

Same goes for all our steel/metal sizes too.

I guess when it comes to measurement, I could be considered ‘bi-lingual’. I can quickly convert nominal sizes in my head. It helps that I’m also fairly adept at basic math.

1” = 25.4 mm
0.01 mm = .004”
1 metre is approx. 39”
80 kms is 50 miles
1 kg is 2.2 pounds.

I grew up learning metric in school, but surrounded by imperial measurement elsewhere. Helping my dad, as a mechanic, used imperial/fractional wrenches and sockets.

Any building would be done using inches and feet.

The majority of machining and tooling I’ve dealt with has been imperial, however, depending on the customer, I’ve also done a lot of work in metric. Most of my measuring tools I have both. Or they’re digital so switch easily from one to the other.

How is lumber sized in metric countries? Do you have 4x8 sheets of plywood etc...
Old 03-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
How is lumber sized in metric countries? Do you have 4x8 sheets of plywood etc...
Yes, and they will be sold as 12mm, but known as 4x8 sheets size wise.
I found it interesting that when I want to build anything in Mexico, they sort of function the same way in the hodge-podge of inches and mm.

Food stores are all metric by weight.
IKEA of course is metric all the way, and they supply you with a tape measure when shopping so you can figure it out.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

(0.01 mm = .004”) - got yer decimal in the wrong place; maybe better stick to building in inches/feet, or you might be in trouble ...Steve
Old 03-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
"Cubits".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgsFCyD4nEw
Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
(0.01 mm = .004”) - got yer decimal in the wrong place; maybe better stick to building in inches/feet, or you might be in trouble ...Steve

Lost a decimal in the translation from brain to phone.

0.01 mm is 0.0004”.

Or 1” = 25.4 mm.

And yep, building for me is feet and inches.

I’d also hazard a guess our 1/2” plywood, or 12mm, is actually 12mm, versus 12.7 or 1/2”. That .7 adds up over thousands of sheets.

I should measure some and see....

Old 03-05-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Here it has become 1200 x 2400
Welding wire used to be in gauge sizes, a 10 gauge was close to 1/8”. When we first went metric they still had many tons of wire so the packaging used to read 3.15 mm once they used that up, which took a few years they went to imperial sizes so now it has become 3.2 mm which is .125”

Last edited by clive; 03-05-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I was in a large heavy fab shop, purchasing got engineering
to allow "Metric substitution" when inch plate is called for.

Unless specifically called out "do not substitute", purchasing could
substitute a metric sized up or down in thickness.