Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
That's why I say to test drive the competing units. There really is a big difference in the way they perform and feel. Some like a standoff, some like to drag and template cut. Some like lower purchase price, some like lower operating cost (lower cost of ownership). Some like to buy American built machines, others are not concerned.

Scott, the shield technology on the newer Hypertherm's (last 6 years) uses patented conical flow technology. The shield air flow impinges the arc creating higher energy density (like having a smaller orifice) with the added benefit of better orifice cooling. Cuts faster, cleaner and with dramatically longer life than non shielded cutting. It is not the same as shielded cutting you can find on Miller, Esab and Victor (T-D) machines.....they use the older Hypertherm shield technology due to an expired patent!

Jim Colt

Jim your fist paragraph pointed out the reasons, despite all the excellent input on other machines, I will probably go with Miller. I tried the 375 at my LWS yesterday and it is sweet..makes my colossal look like stone age.. I also like the fact that miller repair shop is only 5 miles away rather than box and ship.. Also build with blue is offering a $150 rebate...

Again, thanks to all who chimed in..Hope it helps others with buying questions..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
We need to put that on twitter and see what bites.......
I got a hundred bucks that says 50 per cent or more of the babes who respond don't have teeth. Could be a real benefit...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:13 AM
Elite Member

Jim,
you are going to have some new neighbors.. Yes they will still build stuff in Texas, and Mexico .Esab and Victor also use some of their patents in there machines too.. They work very well, and looks like Esab is on the move with some new machines coming out.. (Not air plasma yet) Going to be very interesting to watch. (IMO)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11032695.htm

plasma cutting design engineering and R&D functions will be transitioned to ESAB’s West Lebanon, New Hampshire facility. The West Lebanon facility is a state-of-the-art R&D center for ESAB’s plasma cutting technology business.

Same guys own built this company, and are doing the same with Colfax..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danaher_Corporation

I know Victor one torch cannot match the cut speeds,(Still like anyway, for other reasons) though but Esab's Pt-37 sure can. Both book speeds for best quality says so, and matches what I seen from Esab.and Hypertherm. Look at 3/16 MS at 40 amps Esab, and 45 amps shielded hypertherm . 64 to 70 Ipm, you can't have it both ways, they are the same low kerf,excellent edge quality cuts.. Must be the patented Esab parts? go to 50 amps on the esab, and it cuts a 90 ipm best quality.. Hard to get exact but you can see both are very close to each other.

Last edited by Scott V; 08-12-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Jim your fist paragraph pointed out the reasons, despite all the excellent input on other machines, I will probably go with Miller. I tried the 375 at my LWS yesterday and it is sweet..makes my colossal look like stone age.. I also like the fact that miller repair shop is only 5 miles away rather than box and ship.. Also build with blue is offering a $150 rebate...

Again, thanks to all who chimed in..Hope it helps others with buying questions..
Moe,
the 30% off was today at zoro tools.. My friend told me after the fact...

Buying at your LWS is good too. Even Airgas has the consumables really cheap for the XT 30 torch. Almost shocking really.. I bet it works real nice.
Never used that one yet, but simple consumable setup.. can drag the exposed tip too.. Nice option.. (IMO) If the handle was not so fat, I could really like it. Others might like the thicker handle?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
I got a hundred bucks that says 50 per cent or more of the babes who respond don't have teeth. Could be a real benefit...
You certainly are a wordsmith.....

Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
Moe,
the 30% off was today at zoro tools.. My friend told me after the fact...

Buying at your LWS is good too. Even Airgas has the consumables really cheap for the XT 30 torch. Almost shocking really.. I bet it works real nice.
Never used that one yet, but simple consumable setup.. can drag the exposed tip too.. Nice option.. (IMO) If the handle was not so fat, I could really like it. Others might like the thicker handle?

I have a large hand so torch size is comfortable. I got the air filter and consumable kit and drag cup with it. I'm impressed with the case it comes in..Heavy duty.. If the temp will get below a 100 I'll test hop. It was 105 Monday.. Once my restore project is complete it will probably not see much use. That was a big factor in my decision..Have a shop full of seldom used tools...

Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Voice of Experience

Well I now have two working plasma cutters..Got the regulator drier and solenoid coil for my chinee plasma. Ops checked it yesterday. Cuts as good as the Miller I just bought..

Its a Colossal Tech Cut 50..I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into plasma on the cheap..Consumables are super cheap and readily available.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Its a Colossal Tech Cut 50...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smawgmaw View Post
I have a Gianttech Cut 50 which is basically the same machine except for the name.
Some other names for the same machine: Godzilla Cut 50, Megatron Cut 50, Gargantuan Cut 50, Supersize Cut 50, Big Iron Cut 50--same machine... did I miss any?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 08-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

The cheap China cutters do not cut as smooth as a quality machine on anything over 1/8.(really not as well on 1/8 if you look close) The Power supply in the China is not capable of allowing it to happen. I would always get a better quality cut with a Victor, Esab,Hypertherm 30-40 amp machine. The mosfet machines just don't allow it. Maybe if you are shaking, and cannot pull the torch smooth, then it would be a case where cut quality will match up between cheap, and the more expensive models. Cut with both on 3/8, and you should see a major difference in cut quality. (stressing the machine more in arc length)

Now all that said. I picked up a Italian cutter on Amazon. What a advanced power supply it is.. $472.00 with a real 3 year warranty. The prices jump around like the stock market, but like it, buy at the bottom.. Cheap consumables similar to the PT-31 torches, but Italian made. You can get China nozzles, but not worth the effort for lower quality stuff.(electrodes are OK though) It only runs on 240 input, but has fancy programming to limit the faults when running on a generator. Very cool machine, light weight, and smart too..It also uses a real Tramfimet S-45 torch.. Nice options on consumables too.. It's been a very surprising little machine in it's build quality.. Probably the lightest, smartest, small machine out..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Elite Member

$472.00 was what I paid with free shipping.. I have zero control over Amazon pricing. One other guy pulled the trigger at the same time I did. The price been bouncing around ever since then.. I placed my order Friday night Aug.14, and received the cutter to my door on the 17th..

Top piece is 3/4 MS sever, Bottom is SS

http://ine.it/display.asp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33 amps.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	126039   Click image for larger version

Name:	33-3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	126040   Click image for larger version

Name:	33-4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	126041   Click image for larger version

Name:	33-2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	126042  

Last edited by Scott V; 08-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.