Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-24-2015, 08:16 AM

I'm not an expert with alloys and heat treatment but I've got some general knowledge. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer at Lockheed Martin on the C-130 Hercules and was a fabricator for 16 years here before college.
I don't think you'll have much luck annealing with a torch on this material, I believe it will crack or break every time. You could try to form it hot but you'll need to do the research on temps and time for that.
Will you be welding on these parts? Keep in mind that the HAZ will be reduced to an O condition, which is dead soft. That's a 75-80% loss of strength.
These are my opinions only, hopefully you'll make this work.
Mike
Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
Gang together two or three propane tanks to supply a rosebud tip. I have a big propane rosebud tip that I have run off two 40lb propane cylinders before. Three would be better as the tip is a hog for fuel. I need to get a torch body for it as I borrow a friends to run the tip.
Dan.
I have a 60000 BTU propane burner for outdoor cooking, maybe I will try burning the soot off with it. It should heat a much larger area of the pipe up at one time.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

I'd say you're best option is to anneal as best you can and bend the material cold. If the annealing wasn't uniform then you will have issues--if you missed an area it will be brittle and will tend to tear away from an area that was left really soft. If you do get it annealed down to an O temper it will be so soft that it will likely just collapse when you bend it.

In the past we have annealed material when we had no other option but it's hit or miss at best--if you get lucky it will work out, if not you end up with a bunch of scrap. I'd say your best bet would be to flog the material you've got and start over with some 6063. It may cost you some money but you'll still be further ahead than if you turn what you have into scrap and still have to buy new material...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:58 PM

I would think that you may spend more on annealing fuel than new tube would cost. Something to think about.