Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Default IDPA Stands

The new local gun range has a group of some sort out there that does a mini-fun competition every week or two. I've googled a couple of videos to see what it's about, IDPA. Somehow it's supposed to use your shooting skills in 'real-life' scenarios. I havn't made it out there to actually watch or participate, but they were discussing the need to figure out a way to start funding their little club.

One of the things they mentioned was the need for stands, and showed some pictures. That's all it took, lol. I don't have much need for them, but I now have 4 stands of my own. I looked at a few different manufactured products and they want anywhere from $35-90 for something to hold a couple of 1x2 boards up in the air. I used all but 7" of a 24' stick of 1x2, 14ga tube to build these, and grabbed 8 bolts out of the parts bin.

There's lots of woulda/coulda/shouldas in this project, but I've got something like 4 hours in it is all and very little money. I offered them to the club to use this weekend to test out and see if they'd fit their needs. Maybe I'll be making a whole bunch in the future, in which case I'll set up a proper welding jig and switch to gas and do it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	115444   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand3.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	115445   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand4.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	115446   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand5.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	115447  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 PM
More STEAM!!

Looking good, Dubby.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Those do look sturdy. I've shot a couple of IDPA matches (I wasn't very good but it sure was fun!), and the stands they used seemed a bit more flimsy than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM

The main thing I don't like about these is the fit of the wood into the pocket. I was told that they used a 1x2 board to hold the actual target sides up, and not having one available I just ripped down a chunk on the table saw to the right size (3/4x1.5") when I went to the metal supply. We walked around stabbing it into tubing to find the right fit. The 14ga left a little wiggle room and was about half the cost of going up to .120 wall, which fit very snugly.

After this was all said and done, I went to Home Depot and grabbed a 1x2 off the shelf as a tester and realized the best thing I did on this project was drilling and tapping that bolt hole before welding everything together. I didn't bother to measure the board I got from the store, but it was well undersized.

The new range is basically in a hollowed out caliche' pit, so if the winds get blowing just right these could face 30-35mph days pretty easily with substantially higher gusts. Some of the manufactured ones were a lot shorter in support, so hopefully the added length will help some. I gave some thought to drilling holes as well to run a stake through to drive into the ground to hold them down a bit firmer, but the ground is so hard right now that it really wouldn't matter anyway. No reason to have a hole if you're likely to bend a piece of rebar or break a hammer.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Curmudgeon

I want to hear about this new range, please.
Got at least one grandson who needs to know too.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

Looks like its about a step past our old range training. Always enjoyed going out and shooting up the states money!! And talking about wind, had to shoot one year in the rain, well more like a thunderstorm. Wind blowing in my face and glasses caught and retained about 98% of the water that hit them. Timed stations and you couldn't stop. We shot 300 point rounds for qualifying. Shot a 298 that year.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
I want to hear about this new range, please.
Got at least one grandson who needs to know too.
You betcha'. They call it 41 Lead Farm It's by far nothing fancy, but having a place to go shoot is better than nothing. That being said, I have not been out there to visit yet. Need to do that. Our Girl Scouts have had a trip out there though, and all seemed to have a good time.

There's not much for infrastructure or budget apparently, especially if I'm the one volunteering to help build them targets. I think they have a trailer or shipping container for an office and a big hole in the ground and not much else. I'll grab a picture off their facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41leadfarm.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	115467  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Oh yeah, there's also another one opening up sometime soon that'll be run by the guys from Sharp Shooters. They've got a lot nicer setup from the pictures I've seen so far, but it's quite a bit more of a drive. They havn't set up any sort of pricing either however the consensus is that it'll be as expensive to shoot there as it is to buy guns from them.

I just talked to one of the IDPA club guys who came by to borrow these stands for a test drive this weekend. I believe he said their next planned shoot is going to be memorial day weekend. We agreed on a price, and may have some modifications but we'll see how these do first. I posted pics on their discussion group and have at least 8 more to build so far. I won't get rich, but I'll have something to do after this month's run of injectors. Gonna be a busy week.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Curmudgeon

Thank you, dubby.
I'll pass it along to Zach. He had heard a rumor that someone was re-opening Rustic Range but we both doubt it.

Still no place to shoot the Zombie gun & Zach is planning to buy one too.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 05-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Rustic is 'open' though only to a select few. If you've got an in with the Betenbough clan, I've heard it's an option. I've never bothered to call and ask though. There are a few private instructors that use it for their CHL and other weapons classes.

LadyD had her best high school friend come into town unexpectedly this weekend, so I dropped everything to spend the weekend available to her. They havn't seen each other in 20 years and only 'found' each other last year by accident. Of course, with tomorrow being both mother's day and our anniversary, I figured I was stuck home anyhow . We went out with her friend and her husband, had a good lunch and ran around town for a while, and now are back home and about ready for a long nap.

The stands traveled out to the range today and did their job for a while. The winds aren't too bad but they appear to be standing straight up and still so far. I received some pictures, which is always nice.

I'd wondered if you'd had a chance to test out the Zombie gun yet. I'm still adjusting to my new eyes and havn't done much more than plink in the shop with my little spring rifle. I have plenty of portable tables in a couple different heights and have been toying with a few different styles of bench shooting rests trying to decide what would be the best to take out there. I probably could've bought one and been done with it by now, but that's no fun. Much better to try to reinvent the wheel. If nothing else, it lets the experience of shooting linger. About the time I start to make real progress on something though, I have to set it aside for more profitable work. Can't complain too loudly about that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	standsloaded1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	115472   Click image for larger version

Name:	standsloaded2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	115473  

Wade's Custom Kydex