Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
I have done stupid shit but I have yet to roll a forklift...........
o
3 wheel hyster pneumatic tired truck, off road, going down a grade diagonally, with the mast fully raised, really, you just have to be present, little input in needed from the operator to make it happen, other than just being there.

Summary, you gotta be tough or in this case quick and agile. I climbed out the topside as it was going over, I saw it coming and could do nothing about it. The truck didnt fare so well.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Auction Addict

Dang. That boot looks like it bled a lot. Hate stitches as they bug me to no end during the healing process. Hope it all heals up quickly for you.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

Dang, Digr!!! Glad you made it out as good as you did. I keep plastic wrap around for just such a reason. Might keep me from bleeding to death one day.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 PM

Hope you heal fast and well. You also qualify for the" lucky" title.
Lee just a tax slave on Andys NYS plantation
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
"you could have a heart attack under this house & no one would know till you started stinking".
or you could become armadillo bait.....
Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
3 wheel hyster pneumatic tired truck, off road, going down a grade diagonally, with the mast fully raised, really, you just have to be present, little input in needed from the operator to make it happen, other than just being there.

Summary, you gotta be tough or in this case quick and agile. I climbed out the topside as it was going over, I saw it coming and could do nothing about it. The truck didnt fare so well.
The whole reason we have to wear seat belts on the forklifts at work is apparently to keep us from jumping out the lowside as they go over. All I could think is what dumbass would do that, its obviously gonna come down on top of you. Anyhow I'm glad all the ones we run have stability control, I think you would have to try pretty hard to turn one over.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:41 AM
One Lone Sub

Yikes! Glad you're ok digr. Always amazes how fast it happens

Minding your business one second and the next you're on floor scratching your head.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaDynamo View Post
All I could think is what dumbass would do that, its obviously gonna come down on top of you.
Yes, it was done on my time and my dime, I hate to think of the outcome if I had my seat belt on. The truck I rolled is a 1966 model, none of that safety stuff, you are your safety system. It was my bad from the start, I should have known it was going to roll, but I was in a hurry...

It was still running, I ran to the skid loader, and put it back on its feet.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Ted glad to see you will be alright.
Years ago as an apprentice I was helping the millwrights flip a bin bottom over for loading on the trailer. We were using an overhead crane in the fab shop and a forklift with straps to roll it over. The crane was big enough to handle it on its own but without a secondary line, the fork lift was required to do the actual rotation of it.
Once it was in the air the millwrights decided to lift the it with the forklift to roll it over. That caused it to swing towards one of the pallet racks by the door, the MW operating the crane reacted by traveling the crane, which in turn pulled the forklift forwards to about a 30° angle. The forklift operator immediately lowered the forks to prevent the forklift from tipping all the way forward, which in turn caused the crane operator to let down on the line. For a few seconds there it was absolute chaos. But the bin bottom landed on the 4X's and settled in place.
Not the way we had planned it. But no one was hurt, just a few egos bruised among the millwrights and a comment from the foreman about always plan a lift when you are not in a hurry.
The epoxy paint on the inside of it had taken longer to harden and the paint shop that was going to paint the exterior had called to tell them that they were about ready to lose the slot to another project.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM
More STEAM!!

Dang Ted that is the pits but glad that it was not worse and that you will be all right.