Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Drivin' Fool

Default Fishing season is coming up......

I have been looking at fishing equipment to see what goodies are available to spend money foolishly on (what else can a guy do on a wet windy day). One of the things I looked at (until I looked at the price tags) was a couple variations on a set up for spooling fishing line onto reels, something that can be a real exercise in frustration at times.
For something fairly simple in concept, the prices are more than I wanted to spend, so I sacrificed some time, various bits from my resource pile and bolt cans, and built my own. No real need for explanations as the pics tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	115041   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	115042   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	115043   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	115044   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	115045  

Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM
More STEAM!!

Good idea, it will make the job much easier.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Auction Addict

Nice setup. I see you are a fan of the Johnson Century reel. It is all the missus uses too. I prefer the open face Mitchell 300.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Elite Member

What?! You still have to crank the reel by hand? Sheesh!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Good tool! I've got 5 or 10 different setups I've built for different rigs and anglers the past few years. Some are incredibly complex and hold LOTS of spools but I'm a fan of simple myself.

One thing I'd suggest on yours, put a large washer up against the outside of the spool and a spring, backed up by a wing nut. Think tensioner on your wirefeed machine. Anything similar will work. That'll keep the line tighter on your reel spool and it'll reduce the chances of it birdsnesting up in there on the first good cast. I put it on a little tight to help stretch the line a bit, that helps get some of the curl memory out of the line if it's been sitting on the feeder spool for a while .

I also spray the feeder spool with line conditioner as I'm spooling it off but that's just personal preference. It helps keep the line lubricated up so it doesn't stick as badly inside the reel.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Nice setup. I see you are a fan of the Johnson Century reel. It is all the missus uses too. I prefer the open face Mitchell 300.
I think that particular reel has quite likely been in my possession since roughly a year after we got married.......so 39 years in August (our 40th anniversary is in August, IOW).
Unfortunately it hasn't seen much use for quite a few years, but since buying a pontoon boat last fall, fishing as often as possible is back on the front burner.

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Good tool! I've got 5 or 10 different setups I've built for different rigs and anglers the past few years. Some are incredibly complex and hold LOTS of spools but I'm a fan of simple myself.

One thing I'd suggest on yours, put a large washer up against the outside of the spool and a spring, backed up by a wing nut. Think tensioner on your wirefeed machine. Anything similar will work. That'll keep the line tighter on your reel spool and it'll reduce the chances of it birdsnesting up in there on the first good cast. I put it on a little tight to help stretch the line a bit, that helps get some of the curl memory out of the line if it's been sitting on the feeder spool for a while .

I also spray the feeder spool with line conditioner as I'm spooling it off but that's just personal preference. It helps keep the line lubricated up so it doesn't stick as badly inside the reel.
That is a good idea, and I will be doing it, but have to root out the spring and wing nut first. I'm pretty sure I have at least one of each somewhere in this mess along with a flat washer. Just threw the two nuts on to try things out for the time being.
I may also look at the stores here or in the big smoke this weekend (may be going to Saskatoon for the weekend, so Cabela's will get a visit) to see if I can find any line conditioner. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 PM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post

Good Stuff