Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Cranky Crustacean

I'm pretty sure they are "given" to big industrial customers so for a home shop nowhere close to a big industrial area...getting your hands on one might be a bit of a challenge.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Here's what their website says:

"We produce and distribute a limited number of our 3,600 page catalog to end-users and requisitioners in industrial plants and large commercial facilities. Most of our printed catalogs are mailed to current customers, so we may not be able to fulfill your request for one. For those people, we've provided the entire catalog contents on-line through our Internet Catalog."
Old 07-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Gold Star Dad

McMaster-Carr will not even sell you a catalog. I have asked.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Exactly..Now Print 3600 pages.... thats 1800 sheets or 4 packs of paper and more printer ink than you want to purchase (lots of pics)...not to mention the time involved...and all of a sudden that $40 starts to look real attractive...and it's all glued together too.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Exactly..Now Print 3600 pages.... thats 1800 sheets or 4 packs of paper and more printer ink than you want to purchase (lots of pics)...not to mention the time involved...and all of a sudden that $40 starts to look real attractive...and it's all glued together too.
Yes, I thought about that too. Scary, isn't it?

When I first mentioned the availability of the catalogs on ebay, I didn't remember seeing the prices, only that I had seen them in passing, while looking for something else.

While we're at it, how about bringing back the Sears catalog? Yeah, yeah, I know about you guys and all your "crapsman" jokes but, even if you didn't buy from them, it was a good reference book for getting a feel for what was out there and what it was going for.

Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 02:18 AM
trust but verify

The whole catalog is on the internet, making the paper version a bit pointless since orders go over the web too. I'd known they'd sell for anything I wouldn't have thrown them in the trash when they showed up.

I didn't even bother with the book when doing industrial orders. Why turn pages when you can pull it up and simultaneously web search the items elsewhere to get a better price?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/printpdf/ lets you conveniently print pages
to .pdf if needed.

The seller with the "expensive" 1977 catalog obviously sells asbestos info with an eye to litigation.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
The whole catalog is on the internet, making the paper version a bit pointless since orders go over the web too. I'd known they'd sell for anything I wouldn't have thrown them in the trash when they showed up.

I didn't even bother with the book when doing industrial orders. Why turn pages when you can pull it up and simultaneously web search the items elsewhere to get a better price?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/printpdf/ lets you conveniently print pages
to .pdf if needed.

The seller with the "expensive" 1977 catalog obviously sells asbestos info with an eye to litigation.
The online catalog is unbeatable if you already have a clue what you want.

Flipping through the paper catalog will make you want stuff you never knew existed and give solutions to problems you didn't know you had.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Armchair Webbie

Well there it is folks, I'm officially, an old fart. Can't understand this younger generation.

Dave
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Cranky Crustacean

Welcome to the club Dave...

I agree with Gravy... You discover things you didn't know you needed by flipping pages...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
More STEAM!!

I have been an old fart for quite a while now, Mudbug. I don't understand a lot of the short hand people use on their texting. something like the example "lol".