Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Elite Member

Default Makita 1/2" drill DP4000

My craftsman 1/2 drill had had enough after drilling 30 -40 1/2" holes in exhaust for emissions testing so I stopped into my LWS and picked up the Makita DP4000..... it has performed flawlessly.... my craftsman would push me around some times but this thing will flat move me if I get it into a bind.... I picked up some drill bits and found a 1/2" one that was very very sharp.... it would put out 1/8" slivers if my wrist would take it....the Makita wouldn't even slow down..... the chuck is Japan made but the key is longer and does a superior job of locking down the bit....... the trigger is held at a set speed very easily..... the handle locks into place and will not move around on ya.....price was $100 ish....I don't remember as it was on the company :evil:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=DP4000

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Armchair Webbie

Mike, if you have the room, you might want to try a 1/2" Unibit. They are much better behaved, than going at it with a regular bit. They don't throw you around and try to break your wrists. Just my 2 cents.

Dave
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM

Hey Mike,
At work, we use a 1/2" step drill that has a 1/4" dia. step and really makes it so much easier to drill many holes without putting strain on your wrists. I recently picked up (2) used Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooter drill motors on E-Bay for $25 & $26 and are superb, have tremendous torque at 850 rpm. Denny

A man's word is his honor... without honor, there is nothing....
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Boiler God

I went to a 1/2" cordless drill, because my Milwaukee 1/2" holeshooter, has too much torque, I now only use a corded drill if its absolutely necessary.

jack
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM

Never have heard much bad about Makita. Seems to be good stuff that flys under people's radar more than Dewalt and some other brands. Did you get this from the guys up in Sanford?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Elite Member

CWIS... Praxair yes I did.....they even took down the serial # so if I have any issues I can bring it back to them for warranty.....

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM

Default Makita

I have had a makita 3/8 variable for over 25 years and it still runs flawlesly. I so wish they stil made the same model as I'd love to buy another. Most of the Makita products I've bought I'm most happy with. Note there are two grades, one a homeowner line and another industrial type. I have always bought the industrial and never have had a problem.