Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-24-2006, 01:53 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default More Tractors

I just couldn't help it. I partially blame it on lwhiway.
But I found these two little garden tractors that were destined for the scrap yard and I just couldn't allow it.
Just couldn't; it ain't right. But Tracey is determined to clean up his truck repair lot & besides that,
he is preparing one of his buildings for a new tenant so these had to go somehere. They are coming
home with me. $100 for the pair. I also get the 2 extra front tires in first picture.
picture #1: The near one is a little Massy Ferguson, has a mowing deck & a Tecumseh engine of unknown
properties. All I can tell is that the engine will turn by hand so it ain't stuck.
picture #2: This one is the same as my Sears Surburban except the engine is a Briggs single cylinder 16 hp.
I can turn it over by hand too. If nothing else, I can save the parts for eventual use on my yellow one.
picture #3: It was sold by White's, not Sears; I thought fatfrank might get a kick out of this data plate.
picture #4: The Briggs engine. I hope Moe or someone can identify it.
picture $5: The carb side of the Briggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massey-right.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	16103   Click image for larger version

Name:	white-left2.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	16104   Click image for larger version

Name:	white-plate.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	16105   Click image for larger version

Name:	briggs-left.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	16111   Click image for larger version

Name:	briggs-carb.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	16112  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 09-24-2006, 02:17 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default more pictures

Picture #1 is the label on the Briggs shroud.
Picture #2 is the business end.

And Picture #3 brings me to another question; this is the aluminum horizontally opposed from some kind
of racing tractor that you can see parts of in the first picture - the purple thing. Whadda you think, Moe?
Anybody? I can have it (the whole thing) for another $20.

Picture #4: Trouble. I brought the White's/Suburban home first; now I have to figure out how to unload it
with 2 ruined tires & no power.
Picture #5: And of course, the grill is also busted just like it was on the yellow one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	briggs-label.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	16114   Click image for larger version

Name:	briggs-right.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	16115   Click image for larger version

Name:	brigg-twin.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	16116   Click image for larger version

Name:	trouble.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	16117   Click image for larger version

Name:	busted-grill.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	16118  

Just Keep Walking

Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM

are you going to paint them ?

Jess
Old 09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Voice of Experience

Rod that old cast iron briggs will be a workhorse. The up draft carb is a real pain in the arse. When you get to that point I can give you some tips to keep your sanity..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 09-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

Quote:
I just couldn't help it. I partially blame it on lwhiway.
But I found these two little garden tractors that were destined for the scrap yard and I just couldn't allow it.
Just couldn't; it ain't right.
I cannot imagine how people fail to see the beauty in something that has missing and parched paint, browned rust spots, missing or broken parts and torn seats and tires not so completely round. But enough of describing my truck.

If I was to run into 10 more like one I picked up a few weeks ago, I would. I think they would all look sharp parked along side the other distractions I've collected and parked in front of the shop.

BTW, Cutter cannot blame, nor allude to even partially holding me responsible for his good fortune. After all, it was the "vise" thread from a seemingly innocent Google search on rust removal that led to my downfall. So if anyone is to blame.............

Cutter, it's a good thing you did some putting away and making more room in your shop. It's like they were calling you.

I agree with Moe on the 16hp single. That thing has good low and mid range torque for different geared and mechanical applications. Of course it won't be found to a fuel miser.

Well done friend, good find.

Maybe it is time for you to go ahead and fab the stinger lift on the rear of your yeller tractor. It would have been perfect to off-load a non roller.

If I can get the pics from the weekend loaded from the camera, I'll post a few of what I've done so far with the Wheel Horse. Took more time to make room for it in the shop than I had to spend, but had to do it to walk around.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Cutter, sorry for the intrusion

I didn't quite know where to put these pics, so's I just decided to add to a thread, rather than start a new one somewhere else.

These first pics are of some of the donor engines to be tried on the "mower from hell" project.

I've received several Briggs twins and this really slick Kawasaki V-twin water cooled. I was able to acquire the instrument panel with most of the previous wiring harness from the original Skaggs mower.

Prices were right () so they couldn't be passed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0013 Twin donor.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	16166   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003 Kaw Donor.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	16167   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005 Kaw Rad View.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	16168   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0006 Kaw Starter Side.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	16169   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0007 Kaw Panel.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16170  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Lord of the Minions

To make room in the shop for the Wheel Horse Restoration (money for red paint), I first had to make it's foot print as small as I could. That was at first thought to be impossible without a total tear down/apart and boxed up.

After thinking about it a bit, I came up with this idea of making it smaller and at the same time being able to easily move it around inside the shop with out having to steer and push against the hydraulics. Even with the pump in the unloaded state and opened valve, it was a bear to push, nearly impossible to go any distance.

Pic 1 shows the fancy front wheels that steer themselves. Notice the well engineered cross bracing and exacting stance of the front end.

Pic 2 shows how we cut and narrow a rear end down South. Or how to make a push toy. The 1" channel used for the leg hangers and bolted to the old trans-axle is from the Carney fencing I took in as payment for work owed. (Reads, I got 15 rides, 480' of fencing, 18 trucks, 5 ponies, strange looking women and jars of things that shouldn't have been put in jars.) This is a 2 bottle story. 1 to drink while I tell it and the other to drink before you believe it. But I got pictures. lol

Pic 3 is of the Al. pump and housing. It's massive for a mower, but since the the little tractor offers 2 separate lift systems on board and a remote supply, guess not.

Pic 4 I just threw in to show off my idea of fancy loft storage. Notice the wiring overhead? Definitely to code. (of the South that is).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0050 Horse w lil wheels.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	16171   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0052 Horse Narrowed Rear.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	16172   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0062 Horse Pump.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	16173   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0064 Fancy loft storage.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	16174  

Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Well, the title of the thread is "more tractors" not my tractors so the more the mirthier?
The Kawasaki looks really cool.
That Briggs twin looks like it might be the same as the one I have been trying to ask you & Moe about.
Is yours aluminum or cast arn?

Here is the overlooked/ignored picture I am referring to:

I did not know this tractor or the engine was for sale until I asked Tracey about it just as I was about
to drive away; I ask him as after thought what he planned to do with it & he said, "Scrap yard or you can
have it too for another 20 bucks." This was the only picture I had taken of it but he also said it was running
before he moved it to clear out his rental building. I guess I may as well compound the felony & buy it too;
surely I can find $20 worth of parts from one more tractor.

Just Keep Walking

Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Is yours aluminum or cast arn?
Sorry, not familiar with that allowie. Must be part of the Non-existanium family I hear so much about these days.

Cutter, most probably it is the same series or should I say, yes mine are all cast Al.

I'm not that familiar with the years of which series that Briggs offered in the horizontal twins, but think that the conventional V-twins were/are called the Vanguard series. I should check this before I post it, but I'm sure someone will correct me in turn. lol

I have 3 of the 18.5 hp Hor twins within a year of manf dates and all seem to have seen little usage. Begging seems to work well as I get older. I guess some people just don't clean or wash under the decks. All of the tractors were deck-less.

I'm hoping that the Kaw engine wins the competition for best suited engine as it should spin the blade nicely. I'm just not sure of it's "torque produced" in terms of RPM needed. I haven't found a chart showing it's rated power band to work produced. The Briggs are fairly old school and will work if called upon.

I can't wait till Halloween. I'll be forging the blade from a 59 Caddy rear bumper with virgins(female) working the bellows and stoking the fires. Hold your breath for those pics.

The IPC's for all of the Briggs line of engines can be found in Pdf.

We're gonna have to find some Bib's in curmudgeon sizes before this is over.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:08 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Well, I may have to take a couple of days off from this tractor chase to do something more like real work
but I am almost finished with the first stage of my cherry-picker-tractor build. I have built a platform
to set the mast on & it will double as the mount for my firewood hauler. The firewood tote is nearly finished
if you don't count paint, and I don't because I am convinced that paint is sure death to further modifications.
Should have pictures of the finished tote in a day or two. It is something like a cross between a receiver
mounted carrier & a tailgate.

Just Keep Walking