Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM

Default How do I cut reinforced silicone hose?

I didnt know what section this goes in, so move it if there is a more appropriate place.

I have a lot of reinforced silicone hose that I need to cut. It's reinforced with 4 plys of polyester. I'd grab a pair of scissors, but I need to make over 100 cuts.
Also, these cuts need to be clean.

Is there any way to do this with a bandsaw?
Is there any specialty tool for this?

I'm afraid that there will be too much flex with 2.5" ID.
Anything?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Mender of the Yellow Iron

Location: Belton South Carolina Home of the Standpipe Festival

Check at your local Auto Parts store for a hose cutter.They work great on radiator hoses.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 PM

Maybe a set of Craftsman HandyCuts or similar. Sears item #00937301000 Mfr. model #37301.

Not sure how thick 4 ply polyester reinforced hose is but its what I use for most radiator hoses, heater hoses etc. If it was wire reinforced like fuel filler hose I would use an abraisive chop saw.

Don
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 PM

Do you think it will have trouble with the polyester braids?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 PM
no bull it's huge!

I'm guessing that you probably have a chop saw if so use it. Just be ready for smoke from the hose. If you have a miter saw I'd give that a try and see how it works. At work we have a tool that clamps the hose flat and has a blade mounted on a slide to cut the hose. It is used for rubber radiator hose, the straight stuff that's a ***** to cut any other way. Hope some of this helps.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean
I'm guessing that you probably have a chop saw if so use it. Just be ready for smoke from the hose. If you have a miter saw I'd give that a try and see how it works. At work we have a tool that clamps the hose flat and has a blade mounted on a slide to cut the hose. It is used for rubber radiator hose, the straight stuff that's a ***** to cut any other way. Hope some of this helps.
Yeah, we've got an Ellis saw at my shop, but I'm thinking our blades arent fine enough to make a clean cut. They're made to cut stainless steel and whatnot.

Is this clamp you speak of called a vise grip?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 AM
no bull it's huge!

It's a flat table about 7 inches front to rear and about 8 inches wide. There is a arm that pivots at the rear to clamp the hose and it's held by hand. The blade is mount to a piece of keystock that slides in the base. The keystock has a knob mounted on the end about 3" in diameter to push the blade. If I remember correctly it was made by Gates rubber company. I havent seen it since this spring, hopefully it's still around so I can get some pics for you.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshtern
Do you think it will have trouble with the polyester braids?
I've cut all sorts of rope with mine so I don't think it should be a problem. The main thing is that your hose isn't too thick. If it is too much over a 1/4" wall the blade isn't thick enough. Basically it is a razor blade and anvil integrated into a set of pliers. The hose cutter pliers should work good too. As Dr. Dean alludes to, flattening the hose while you cut it should help.

If you are doing a whole mess of them ie. production run, I would look at rigging something up. With a new blade your Ellis saw may not do to bad. Otherwise something with a blade and anvil type arrangement should work good too.

Don
Old 12-26-2005, 12:34 AM

Do you guys think that if I clamped the tube flat and used this 52tpi blade it will work smoothly?

http://www2.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=ZONR3058&P=O
Old 12-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Something's Fishy ...

clamp it flat then cut next to the clamp block with an olfa razor knife use
wd 40 as a lubricant. Use a wood bottom block and an aluminium top block knife guide. when the blade dulls just snap off the section and you have a sharpe blade. Terry