Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Question Grinder / Power Tool Stands Comfortable Height & Design

Any of you have a certain preference as to the comfort work height of certain tool stand
Dedicated to your specific power tools like bench grinders etc.

For the most part store bought stands for my use have had something I was not happy with or
Was just plain inadequate in design or maybe just to flimsy and could always find something that could be
Added to improve it.
Lately I have had several people wanting stands for buffers grinders and even a bicycle wheel truing tool
Most of the people are setting up their own small business or hobby shops and don’t like the line made ones they are finding for one reason or another some is price and some is design issues.

I made this stand for a gentleman which I started another post on earlier he had decided to have me build it to his desired needs which was fine I do enjoy building things keeps me busy. One problem is I am always unsure at to what to charge for this sort of work since line made stands can be bought for far less than he paid for this one.

So if you guys have any ideas and input that you can share on what your likes and dislikes are with line built stands and let me hear some feedback on why you rather build your own over line built stands
And ideas you are willing to share that would improve their usability. Changes you would make or ad
Or how you might come up with a value of a tool stand you would build for someone else that is not like what can be bought at a store in general.

The stand in the pic was the one for the wheel turning tool I added a removable tool tray and made the base with leveling bolts and painted it so it looked nice being it was not going to see a lot of heavy type working abuse even though it’ build mostly out of ¼” plate and schedule 40 pipe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel stand 009.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	83100   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel stand 006.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	83101   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel stand 007.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	83102   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel stand 004.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	83103   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel stand 005.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	83104  

Old 10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
there has to be an answer

I'll take a stab.

I like stuff to be 36 to 40 inches off the floor. This is a comfortable work height for me, I am 6'3". I hate stooping over. So for me a workbench should be 36", a pedestal to hold a grinder should be about 30', etc.

It's all personal preference, my son who is 5'9" find my 36" workbench too high.

I like your leveler feet - easily adjustable from the top and 'lockable'.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Boiler God

As I'm built like a fire hydrant, squat, solid, with short like arms, I like the tool/bench height around 30-32". I'm no where as fancy a MetalWolf, I'm known to use old 16" truck rims for grinder stand bases. The Jancy belt sand/grinder is mounted on one, the 10" Jet grinder is also, the (2) 8" Milwaukee bench grinders are mounted on long deleted Harbor Freight grinder stands, which is too bad as I would gladly buy more of them.

jack
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancherBill View Post
I like your leveler feet - easily adjustable from the top and 'lockable'.
The leveling feet normally I would not ad usually just drilled holes for anchoring in to place or rubberized feet which ever the application requires in this case I thought it would be more applicable for the ability of the stand to be leveled considering the tool mounted on it is being used for truing wheels.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
As I'm built like a fire hydrant, squat, solid, with short like arms, I like the tool/bench height around 30-32". I'm no where as fancy a MetalWolf, I'm known to use old 16" truck rims for grinder stand bases. The Jancy belt sand/grinder is mounted on one, the 10" Jet grinder is also, the (2) 8" Milwaukee bench grinders are mounted on long deleted Harbor Freight grinder stands, which is too bad as I would gladly buy more of them.

jack
Jack I used the 16"x16"x1/4'' random plate because it was .35 cents a lb. actually cheaper than buying a good foundation wheel plus being this one was for a customer it needed to look more appealing in view, many of my personal stands have been made out of what ever usable scrap left over’s I had laying around that were useful, So fancy only counts where paying customer are concerned not sure I would want to show pic’s of my personal stands cuz I might be a little embarrassed
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Great Stand!

Nice work, MW! How about two telescoping pieces of pipe with two holes in the outer pipe and a series of holes an inch apart in the inner. Your customer can set the height and run a pair of bolts with locking nuts through the appropriate holes. Shouldn't take to long to make the mod.

DrBob
Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
Nice work, MW! How about two telescoping pieces of pipe with two holes in the outer pipe and a series of holes an inch apart in the inner. Your customer can set the height and run a pair of bolts with locking nuts through the appropriate holes. Shouldn't take to long to make the mod.

DrBob
Dr.Bob I have made a few adjustable stands but I used a set bolt to hold at height and was thinking I may remake all my personal stands or at least two new bases with changeable mounting plates so I can save some room in my small building this way I can just change out to the tool I am in need of at the time.
Here is a stand I was working on today, not yet finished with it going to put locking leveler bolts on it and give it a red and black two tone paint finish
made the tool tray removable like the last one and also it can be positioned to any height or side, will put up some pic’s when it is finished in full.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new stand with tooltray 006.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	83142   Click image for larger version

Name:	new stand with tooltray 008.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	83143   Click image for larger version

Name:	new stand with tooltray 007.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	83144   Click image for larger version

Name:	new stand with tooltray 011.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	83145   Click image for larger version

Name:	new stand with tooltray 014.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	83146  

Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Made this out of a laptop stand they were throwing away in the ER. Fully adjustable and lockable in a certain location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CarJeep 052.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	83162  
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Voice of Experience

Whatever is comfortable for the person using it. I don't know the heighth of mine. I just know they are comfortable.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 10-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I think I may just have to stick with asking the customer at what height he would like the stands to be
Considering for the most part it is preference, all the stands I have done were built to the customers preference so far anyway.

But in general I’m guessing I should keep my surplus stands for general sale at thirty two inches and painted basic single color. And a couple at thirty-six inches incase someone wants a little taller one.

I have a couple of other project in the works I would like to do just not sure when I will start on them but I will be building some transmission clutch pack presses, and a manually operated tire mounting tools with a tire spreader both are in the works but just waiting for the materials to fall out of the sky or the money tree to replenish it’s self …ha-ha delusional dreaming.

And Thanks for the ideas and suggestions

Last edited by MetalWolf; 10-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.