Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-05-2022, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

Default Plasma Cutter, Advice Please

I'm considering getting a plasma cutter. Needs to be 110V.I m just a hobbiest so I donned top shelf stiff, just something reliable and easy to find consumables. What brand should I be looking at?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Elite Member

I've head decent luck so far with this brand:

https://www.amazon.com/CUT-50-Invert...16549677&psc=1

I haven't used it on 120v, but I wouldn't count on cutting very thick material with that input.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:51 PM

I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination so take that into consideration. I have recently purchased my first plasma cutter, a YESWelder CUT55-DS Plasma Cutter through Amazon. Prior to purchase I did a search to review others' comments. When I purchased mine, it was listed with a discount and a coupon bringing the total cost to about $250. So far, I have only used it a few times (on 220V) and it has performed better than I expected.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083GPXF...roduct_details
Old 12-07-2022, 11:29 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney1el View Post
I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination so take that into consideration. I have recently purchased my first plasma cutter, a YESWelder CUT55-DS Plasma Cutter through Amazon. Prior to purchase I did a search to review others' comments. When I purchased mine, it was listed with a discount and a coupon bringing the total cost to about $250. So far, I have only used it a few times (on 220V) and it has performed better than I expected.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083GPXF...roduct_details

That's pretty damn tempting. It has the option to use the coupon for $100 off all their machines it looks like as well. The consumable kit is ridiculously cheap compared to my Hobart (rebranded Miller). Plus having the option for dual-voltage...kinda cool.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-07-2022, 10:38 PM

A couple of years ago I bought a Warfox cut35 machine for the wife to make metal craft projects. 120volt machine. It cut through barn tin like it was a hot knife through butter. But 1/8in angle was way slow. Probably could have cut it faster with a dull hack saw.
I would at least move up to a 240volt machine next time. Costs isn't that much different anymore.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

The cheap 120 volt China Plasma cutters respond to matching the nozzles and upgrading the swirl rings to better quality pieces They cut .250 with zero issues and good speed.. I paid $92.00 for my little Hero-cut from Amazon Warehouse, and it was a good little unit,and no issues in a year. They do output 30 amps but will take a real good circuit to do so.. Generally 20 plus amps output puts you in a 20 amp draw on a 120 volt line.. It's at my friends place now, and I just buy used American stuff, and upgrade the torches when needed..My Free Pakmaster 50 was upgraded with a quality torch, and consumables, and it will sever 1 inch on it's 35 amp output..Impressive for a 23 year old machine..
Old 12-11-2022, 07:50 PM

My first plasma cutter was an Eastwood 40A dual voltage unit and served me well, but now a days there are tons of low-cost options. As for "brands", surely you realize that most of the bottom-barrel stuff is pretty much all "the same" or at least very very very similar inside? Real "brands" start at $1500 minimum, otherwise they are likely just the flavor-of-the-week IMO.

Plasma cutters are power hungry, so yea anything over 20A and it will quickly limit how long you can cut on a standard 120V/20A circuit. Even 25A output on the 120V plasma cutter can quickly trip a 20A breaker since it will likely be pulling 30A+ from the circuit. Depending on which NEC version your local laws have adopted, you may be able to have an electrician beef up your feed circuit if it is a dedicated circuit and it is not shared with anything else. How strict are your local laws and do you know an electrician or you yourself know how to wire up electrical circuits?

Last edited by Oscar; 12-11-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:10 PM
Elite Member

There are some huge differences in China made machines in mid range cost machines. If just hand cutting it;s a good option as long as it comes from a place like NT/etc real 3 year warranty. You could buy a 25 amp 120 volt plasma, and a 45 amp 240 volt machine for under a grand from Firepower/Esab..(after rebate) Not dual voltage.. If you are not doing CNC, very little to be gained really by spendy much more.. The designs are not the same between all low cost units.. Some have it figured out better than others..They use to blow up if looked at wrong, and it's came a long way since that time. (on the right ones) These have been sold in OZ under Cigweld for a few years

https://firepoweronline.com/burnandearn/en-us/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZTCD5K...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited by Scott V; 12-12-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

I haven't pulled the trigger, yet, but you guys have given me some good suggestions. Thanks a bunch!