Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Hossfeld FootPrint - How much area?

I bought a #2 Hossfeld and I'm SLOWLY picking up the pins/dies I'm missing, de-rusting, and getting it back together. I have the HF Compact Bender already and have it mounted on a stub of tubing that slides in a receiver on the welding table. I'm thinking the Hossfeld will need a better mounting option and more work area?

So how much swing room do I really need? The biggest I could see making would be a 5ft ring out of angle or similar, but that means feeding in a 20ft stick. Doing a radius bend I'm only bending a couple inches at a time, but how much of an arc is that swing? Where does that swing arc usually occur for most setups? Do I need 20ft of clearance on all sides?

My welding room is a smaller 12ftx20ft area framed up out of a larger 36Dx40W pole barn. It started out as a 24Dx40W that I bumped out the back 12x40 and raised the roof. The welding room is in this back addition and helps to keep the grinding dust out of the main area. The welding room also has a 4ft rollup door coming in from the main shop and a 7x9 sliding door across the back going out the the LeanTo.

Most things would be smaller brackets, etc. but I could still use the HF Compact Bender for that. I'm guessing I need to mount the Hossfeld outside for swing room??
Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

It all depends on what you are bending. At my last job, we had a #2 bender that was mounted on a roll around cart, that was about 2’x 3’. The cart held all the dies and pins and the hydraulic pack. If you do not have the hydraulic option, then you will need more room to use the longer handles.

You might be able to mount it on a wheeled cart, but have provide spots to where you can move it to area you work and tie it down or attach it to you welding bench to make it solid for pulling on. With the hydraulic setup, I only needed enough room for the material to move.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-18-2019, 08:21 AM
Auction Addict

Put in a concrete pile about 3' deep and 2' diameter outside with a mount for the bender for those bigger jobs. Move the bender back in when not in use.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM

I do not have Hydro on it. Not in the budget now. I will make a a mount inside for smaller stuff and outside under the leant for the bigger items. I just thought someone would know where the swing arc is on most setups. From 2 o'clock to 10 or from 2 to 6?

I'm going to get some molasses from MFA this weekend and see how this chelating process works for cleaning up the dies.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Put in a concrete pile about 3' deep and 2' diameter outside with a mount for the bender for those bigger jobs. Move the bender back in when not in use.
I have a 4x8 steel table outside for working on, on one corner I have drilled
holes to mount my bender. That is were I have plenty of room for the bigger
jobs. Smaller one I just clamp it to my inside bench. The table outside is
about 1500 pounds so it does not move.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

How big of handles do you have for it? I had multiple from 2’ to 6’. Just grab as big as one needed. If I remember right. If you have the main arm at 9 o’clock from the main pin, the swing arm would be from 11 o’clock to 6 o’clock, depending on what I was bending. Most of the time, I needed less than 3’ around the bender, unless I was bending longer pieces of pipe.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Standard of Excellence

I have mine mounted on an outdoor corner post. It is mounted atop a 4x4 post with a base plate. I have a hydraulic pump mounted to it as well, but never finished the conversion. Most usage I don't mount the long handle, as you can bend 1/2” hot rolled round bar with just the stub handle. 1 1/4” tube requires the long handle. Anything bigger really wats hydraulics or the ratcheting set up.

So you need room to swing the long handle and whatever length you are bending. I have found anything longer than 10’ becomes unwieldy. I dont bend arches with it, as I have a roller.

I also put a recessed socket in the floor of my shop. It is a 2x2”. It has proven very handy. I would consider making a snug fitting socket for 4x4” and recessing that. I just made a little cover plate that is flush with the concrete. Slip the bender in when using, and pull it out to get it out of the way.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have mine mounted on an outdoor corner post. It is mounted atop a 4x4 post with a base plate. I have a hydraulic pump mounted to it as well, but never finished the conversion. Most usage I don't mount the long handle, as you can bend 1/2” hot rolled round bar with just the stub handle. 1 1/4” tube requires the long handle. Anything bigger really wats hydraulics or the ratcheting set up.

So you need room to swing the long handle and whatever length you are bending. I have found anything longer than 10’ becomes unwieldy. I dont bend arches with it, as I have a roller.

I also put a recessed socket in the floor of my shop. It is a 2x2”. It has proven very handy. I would consider making a snug fitting socket for 4x4” and recessing that. I just made a little cover plate that is flush with the concrete. Slip the bender in when using, and pull it out to get it out of the way.

+1 on infloor receiver. Had several smaller Bender’s like that at old job too. One was a hossfield #1, that I think I only used once in fifteen years. The # 2 was the main go to bender.