Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Default Commisioned Company Sign

So here is my weekend / week project to be completed for my brothers boss's company before i head up to Michigan next week.

The company does computer IT services and all that mumbo jumbo stuff that i dont care about...

It is cut from 3/8 for definition, the small letters of company slogan will flush mount (gorilla super glue) to wall, and the rest will be spaced ~2" from wall using 1/4" rod and then im thinking a small circular disk to it for for surface area. It will all recieve some rattle paint.

My question is, would you mount the letters that stand away with same super glue? Double stick tape? Or something else? I initially was going to put a spacer to the wall top and bottom, though if some think only 1 is good enough i will entertain the thought. The heaviest piece is the circle to the left at 1.5 lbs, and then everything else indivually is less than 0.5 lbs.

I will use the negative of the cut as a template for mounting.

Sent from my government tracking device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140726_095458.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	117299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140726_110620.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	117300   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140726_110752.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	117301  

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Grumpy Bastard

How about drilling the back plate and using small plugs welds to hold letters in place?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
would you mount the letters that stand away with same super glue? Double stick tape?
Be cautious about double stick tape. We had a "professional" sign company mount wooden letters on our company walls with double stick tape. About a year later some of letters actually fell off and some sagged so they no longer lined up with the rest of the sign.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:49 PM

I'd try to avoid adhesives if I could

To real estate agent - "I need a 8 car garage with an attached kitchen and bedroom"

"I'm not saying we kill stupid people, just remove warning labels and let the problem sort itself out"

Snap-On Tools
Matco Boxes
Direct Lift Motorcycle Hoists
Lincoln Welders
Thermal Arc Inverters
Real Solvent in the tank
Old 07-26-2014, 02:55 PM

I feel i have no other options than an adhesive on this one. I tested my gorilla super glue with a heavier 1 peice in my shop and it is about amonth still there.

Shade, there is no back plate to this. It will all be either flush mount to wall or spaced away from it with nothing but drywall behind it.

I've heard many people that have done cast aluminum letters that are flat to the wall and about 1" tall use a silicon type adhesive?

I am open to suggestions.

My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 PM

There is some automotive double stick tape that would work just fine. Ambulances use it to hold the panels to the alum frame of the box (thanks How It's Made). I have used it to hold some trim on my caddy for 3 years and no chance of it coming off unless I tell it to.

Or epoxy it. I have used some 5 minute set epoxy to hold an 80lb concrete block inside a plastic base. If it works for that, it will work just fine for a couple lb letters
Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Auction Addict

I'd use some sort of mechanical mounting method instead of adhesives. Time will allow adhesives to break free or sag.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'd use some sort of mechanical mounting method instead of adhesives. Time will allow adhesives to break free or sag.
Ive done some research and found no mechanical fastener for this. If this were in stone id be set, but drywall i dont have a solution.

My YouTube Channel

Old 07-26-2014, 06:08 PM

The way I would do it on a concrete wall would be to weld pieces of all-thread to the back of the sign then layout and drill corresponding holes in the wall. Then, after checking to make sure it fits, I would fill the holes with epoxy (probably half full assuming you drill just barely deeper than your allthread studs) and then use masking tape to secure the sign in place until the epoxy sets. I am not sure how well that would work on sheetrock though.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Adhesives and Sheetrock

David,
As I see your project, I don't believe you would have any trouble with the flush mounting letters but the ones that have to stand off will be trouble.

Sheetrock is only plaster in a paper sandwich. Whatever glue or tape you use, the standoff letters will be a weight at the end of a 2" lever pulling on the paper and paint.

First, I would consider replacing the 1/4" rod with some rectangles of 2" aluminum to get more surface area. That will greatly reduce the amount of weight concentrated at the interface between the wall and the standoff blocks.

Another Idea I had would be to back the whole sign with a piece of clear acrylic 1/4" thick. You could then go back to the 1/4" rod standoffs. Drill and glue them into the acrylic. The acrylic itself could be mounted with toggle bolts in the four corners and it will stay up forever.