Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default Brush clearing

I had been considering a brush hog buy/build on my tractor for clearing inderbrush and saplings. After getting my tractor up to my property I have found the terrain too difficult, so I am once again in search. Even a push type brush mower is going to be too difficult.

What I am leaning toward is a brush cutter type trimmer. These range from a 50cc husky 555 forestry clearing saw, to a 42cc 345 brush cutter, to a 336 brush cutter, and some other 27ish cc trimmers. The 555 would be ideal, but the $1700 price tag hurts. The 345 and 336 sre $799 and $599.

There s a BlueMax brushcutter that is 42cc and is $150. I assume this is an import, but apparently was carried by home depot. The price is great, and it has the right amount of CCs, but I would imagine there are no parts available. There are several others, but they are in the 27 cc range, and I don't really want to be under powered

I am leaning toward the husky 336. 35cc. Can be used with a saw, grass blade, or string.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Auction Addict

I have a an older Sears brush cutter with a blade. Used it about 4 years ago for some saplings along side the ditch by my house. Cut well. Have not used it since. If you were closer we could maybe do some trading.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 09-19-2018, 10:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4ford

I have a fairly good size craftsman 4 stroke weed eater don’t remember the ccs but I bought brush cutter from tractor supply that’s similar to one of the gator heads except it uses steel blades instead of plastic I’ve cut up to two inc brush with it

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 AM

I have no experience with those specific brush cutters, but those machines are awesome!

My brother, who lives next door, bought a Husqvarna 225 brush cutter just before I moved in the next year. I've been here 19 years so it's been at least that long. I cleared out our woods for our house location with that thing back then, and it worked awesome. After I moved in, I cleared a whole trail system for Jeeps on our 20 acres For events that I used to have. I've stopped doing the events about 10 years ago, but about 2 years ago, I cleared out over 2 miles of hiking trails with it. I've also used it for creating a 100 yard by 40 yard gun range in the woods, as well as a bunch of miscellaneous stuff in the woods.

My brother has used it a bunch too, but I spend a lot more time in the woods than he does so I've used it more. I've also used a Stihl model (can't remember the number) but it was a larger one and was much heavier than ours so I didn't like it. It still worked very well, but was heavy.

I'd also suggest getting a full "both shoulders" type harness for it if you think you'll be using it a lot. I've used a single shoulder harness and it was very uncomfortable compared to the "both shoulder" style we ended up getting. Also make sure the harness has a big, hard plastic flap that the machine rests on against your leg or hip. The Stihl I used had a harness with a flexible cloth flap, and I got a big bruise from the machine. Never got a bruise using the harness with the plastic flap.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 AM

The 4-strokes have come a long way,really convenient no 2-stroke lube to mess with..My only recommendation is to buy one with the biggest engine you can,the 4-stroke needs all it can get power-wise its coming from displacement,not the rpms like a 2-stroke..invest a little more now and get as much power as you can especially with cutting brush
Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Blast this!

I had one built on a Homelite XL saw .Heavy had trouble giving it away till some guy thought of putting it on wheels .
Old 09-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Made From Scratch

My experience with them is the blades work great until you let someone run it who thinks its an edger. Doesn't take much dirt to trash a blade, much like a chainsaw.