Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-20-2022, 12:55 AM
Elite Member

Default Upgraded compressor

My 23 year old Curtis 2 stage 5 hp with Disk valves still works like the day I picked it up,, Guy on Craigslist had two of these hooked up with a alternator cycling each compressor depending on draw.. The auto shop was not real hard on this stuff.. Clean oil in it too. Went ahead, and changed out the oil with a Gal of good Synthetic. It needed a new mag switch, abut good upgrade for this unit running on my 15 RPC Starts like a champ. These Champion compressors are a 15 HP pump slowed down for the 7.5 3 phase (on this one) The parts guy I bought the oil from was the person that gave champion the idea to slow the pump down to 575 RPM ,and use a smaller motor. They sold hundreds of them the first month that put that package together. This model is the higher spec disk valve R-30D pump, and has the centrifugal unloader built in Better unit then the almost $4000 ebay units.. This one is over that for sure. $1200 cost was worth the drive to pick up..
Made a trade with my friend for painting in my house for my old Curtis.Better then selling it to a stranger anyway.. My 3 phase 60i plasma still works great running both the compressor and plasma at the same time.. Big win there...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QiH...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Scott V; 02-20-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:26 AM
Auction Addict

Nice unit. My old Worthington single stage 3hp 220V single phase is from the 60s. Turns slow so guess that is why it is still running. The best feature is the 120 gallon tank.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 02-20-2022, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Nice unit. My old Worthington single stage 3hp 220V single phase is from the 60s. Turns slow so guess that is why it is still running. The best feature is the 120 gallon tank.
I had one of those Worthington v-twin units. It was gave to me.. It still pumped, but was missing one rod, because it was broken/snapped. I was going to make one out of 7075 aluminum, but went a different way.. Still need to take care of them, even the good ones.. It's why i spent the extra for good oil..Synthetic is really good in these things to keep carbon from forming on the disk valves.. I ran syn in my compressors way before any of the car hype nonsense/etc..
Old 02-21-2022, 10:41 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
I had one of those Worthington v-twin units. It was gave to me.. It still pumped, but was missing one rod, because it was broken/snapped. I was going to make one out of 7075 aluminum, but went a different way.. Still need to take care of them, even the good ones.. It's why i spent the extra for good oil..Synthetic is really good in these things to keep carbon from forming on the disk valves.. I ran syn in my compressors way before any of the car hype nonsense/etc..
I run tranny fluid in mine.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 02-21-2022, 04:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I run tranny fluid in mine.
Having the 6000 hour oil life, and never having to clean out a disk valve is a fair trade off in cost.. Although 6000 hours is more then I would push it.. The 23 years of zero problems has sold me on the path with disk valve compressors.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:39 AM

Default comp upgrade

I have two IR 5hp Type 30 compressors, one rebuilt running the IR Synthetic lube and the other Rarus compressor oil..both run equally well, but the one with the synthetic seems to run quieter..dont know for sure on that one, but the Rarus will get changed out for synthetic ASAP..but havent had any valve buildup on either..Easier to keep one lube for both in stock
Old 03-30-2022, 06:52 AM

Very timely, bunkclimber

Winter over compressor oil change due. Was not aware, should have, Synthetic oil was available.

Looking for something to spend a Zoro discount promo on, expires 4/1.

Not wanting to take the bait and just purchase something just because. The information given was the perfect storm.

Good one

Pep
Old 04-01-2022, 05:38 AM

Default upgraded compressor

Zoro has the synthetic lube available, last time I ordered from them.
https://www.zoro.com/ingersoll-rand-...28/i/G2911063/
Old 04-01-2022, 03:44 PM

Thanks for posting that I ordered the oil and got an email from Zorro. Saying they could not full fill it.

Seeing your link posted and having a different part number.

Gave them a call, bingo got a couple of qts shipping

Good work
Greg

Hello,

Thank you for your purchase from Zoro.
We regret to inform you that SO258712 is currently still on backorder. At this time we are unable to provide you with a confirmed ship date, and the item(s):

No. Item Number Description Quantity
1 G8063177 Bottle Lubricant .5L,97338131 2
2 Partner Discount 0