Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Auction Addict

Default ATV issues

I have a 2001 KAWASAKI KVF400-D ATV, vin JKAVFKD181B505092. I put in a new starter and solenoid in a few days ago and everything worked fine. Brushes were shot in the old starter.

This morning turned the key on and hit the starter button and all I got was a buzzing noise coming from the solenoid. Battery was at 12.6 volts. Put a charger on it for a couple hours, now battery is at 13.2V. Checked the fuses and wire connections under the seat. All look good. Solenoid still buzzes and engine still does not turn over.

Not sure what the problem is or what to check next.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-13-2019, 04:36 PM
The Real Deal

Sounds like the Solenoid can you jump it?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Karma Avenger

If you hit the starter button and the battery voltage really drops, the engine or starter motor is probably locked up. If the voltage isn't dropping, the solenoid or the wiring to the starter is defective. I see a lot of issues with older quads in the rust belt (salt on the roads) having poor grounds. Easy test of course is to jam something you don't like between the solenoid terminals and see if it cranks. You may have a bad solenoid, especially if it's a cheap Chinese knock off of the OEM part. Kawasaki parts can be a little overpriced. They used to sell a Wagner flasher relay that you could buy at Autozone for $6 for $42.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDoctor View Post
If you hit the starter button and the battery voltage really drops, the engine or starter motor is probably locked up. If the voltage isn't dropping, the solenoid or the wiring to the starter is defective. I see a lot of issues with older quads in the rust belt (salt on the roads) having poor grounds. Easy test of course is to jam something you don't like between the solenoid terminals and see if it cranks. You may have a bad solenoid, especially if it's a cheap Chinese knock off of the OEM part. Kawasaki parts can be a little overpriced. They used to sell a Wagner flasher relay that you could buy at Autozone for $6 for $42.
I replaced the new solenoid with the old one and it buzzed the same as the new one. I did try to jump it at the solenoid. No spark, starter did not turn.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Auction Addict

Is it the red or black solenoid wire that goes to the starter?

Groucho Marx
Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Karma Avenger

Generally the large red wire from the battery positive terminal goes to one post on the solenoid, and the other wire off the solenoid to the starter motor is usually black, same wire gauge as the red wire. If you're jumping the solenoid and nothing happens, I would say either the wire to the starter isn't on correctly or there's no ground wire to the engine. Or lastly, the starter motor is no good. On a lot of Kawasaki ATVs, there's a ground wire that is on the starter motor under a mounting bolt.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDoctor View Post
Generally the large red wire from the battery positive terminal goes to one post on the solenoid, and the other wire off the solenoid to the starter motor is usually black, same wire gauge as the red wire. If you're jumping the solenoid and nothing happens, I would say either the wire to the starter isn't on correctly or there's no ground wire to the engine. Or lastly, the starter motor is no good. On a lot of Kawasaki ATVs, there's a ground wire that is on the starter motor under a mounting bolt.
There was no ground wire when I took off the old starter. This is the starter. Headed out now to put a meter on the battery and hit the starter button to see the voltage drop.

Groucho Marx
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Karma Avenger

That is definitely a Chinese starter, an OEM one costs $400+
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Auction Addict

The voltage drop went from 12.8V to 3-4V. It is an old battery so maybe a bad cell in the battery? Could jump it with the side by side and see if it turns over?

Groucho Marx
Old 01-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Auction Addict

Jumped it from the Polaris Ranger and the starter spun as normal. Soooooo looks like a new battery is the fix.

Groucho Marx