Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:

Old 01-19-2024, 10:16 AM
I can dig it

Default Another haul

Couldn’t decide which topic to put this under, and went with this one.

So I’ve been mildly looking for a Miller XMT 350. It’s the largest inverter supply that will run off a 60A single phase supply. Most are ‘autolink’ as well, and can also be fed 3 phase power of varying voltages.

So along the way I keep seeing others pop up too.

A while ago, I stumbled across an ad for three items. An XMT 450, a Piranha II tungsten grinder with a dust collecter stand, and a large King vertical bandsaw with blade welder.

Went and looked at them the other day, they are in a rental storage unit, by themselves, nothing else in the unit. Sign one that these are costing storage fees to keep around.

Sign two was the seller was a young lady, and she said she had bought them at auction, and had papers to say they were functioning.

Asking price was 5K for all three. I countered with 3k, said I really don’t ‘need’ any of it, and that would be my only offer. And that I could pick up right away.

So I loaded them up while in Edmonton yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2024, 10:22 AM
I can dig it

I’m taking the xmt with me to fort mac tomorrow, sometime in the next while up there we’ll get power to it and try it out. Once I confirm it’s good to go I’ll put it up for sale, or maybe see if I can trade it for a 350.

The tungsten grinder and bandsaw will go in the shop for now, and see whether they get much use or not. If not they’ll go back up for sale too.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Is there a Lot of different features between the 350 and 450 beside amperage output? Will it still run from same voltage as you want in your home shop? If so, you should still be able to use it. Just know that you can’t turn it up past a certain amperage.

I remember the synrowave 350 I had at last job. I think it was supposed to be hooked up to 149 amp input. It was on a 100 amp breaker. Boss didn’t have/ take time /$ to have shop rewired correctly when he got the welder. Was going to get to it sometime.

We would tend to forget that and trip the breaker occasionally. But it was really fun the day when lightning shot out of the panel box. We melted the bus bar feeder.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-19-2024, 04:23 PM
Do I have a life?

I'll assume the 450 is 3~ only? Good haul, BTW!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 01-19-2024, 06:48 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I'll assume the 450 is 3~ only? Good haul, BTW!

Yep, 3~ only, hence the search for a 350 for myself. Hope to get the stuff unloaded here shortly, been drilling donut bearing holders all day. Got 8 finished today and they head north with me tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:07 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Good scoop, I'd say you bought a welder and stole the rest.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 02-03-2024, 06:34 PM
I can dig it

Today we did a loop through town running errands, one stop of which was to get the stuff required to wire up the bandsaw I got a couple weeks back.

Got home and decided to do that wiring, added a 240V 20A receptacle onto my ‘machine’ panel, and switched the cord for a longer one, and put the same plug on the end.

Bandsaw fired up, found the variable speed mechanism needed some minor attention. Loose setscrews, the threaded rod had been cranked into the stop at one end jamming it, that sort of stuff. A few minutes had things working, but it does need a bit more attention to be a long term fix.

The blade welder seems to work, but again, the moving jaw needs freed up for it to work properly. I don’t have any blade stock, or any old blades to test things on, so for now I’ll use a cheap hacksaw blade to play with the welder.

Oh and I don’t know if I mentioned it, the tungsten grinder runs, as well as the little dust collector vacuum part of it. Will have to pull some tungsten out to test it out soon too.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:11 AM
I can dig it

Took the blade welder off a couple days ago. Freed up the jaw that slides, without the spring pressure to ‘feed’ the two halves together, the blade won’t weld together.

Tried again with the jaw moving freely, and seem to have had success.

Flexing the blade by hand it doesn’t break, looks decent, so until I get some bandsaw blade to actually try it I’ll call it a win.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

We had one at the high school shop that I got pretty good at using. It was a "stand alone" machine. The tricky part was getting the annealing right after the welding and grinding.
...lew...
Old 02-08-2024, 09:15 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
We had one at the high school shop that I got pretty good at using. It was a "stand alone" machine. The tricky part was getting the annealing right after the welding and grinding.
...lew...

A lot of people overheat on the annealing side. Small, short taps on the button, so it warms up but never starts to glow is best. Always found that as soon as it started to glow (usually orange with most blade welders) that it was too hot, and didn’t effectively anneal at that point. A straw to blue is about the most colour I like to see.

I like to grind after welding, to have more consistent blade, then anneal. As this one shows, a little blue colour seems to be about right.