Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:

Old 06-30-2022, 08:11 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Wish I could find a source for some of that chromed rod. At least a reasonable priced one.

That’s an impressive cut with that material for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Tube in Edmonton
is where I got my 3.75" ram stock when I rebuilt my press.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 06-30-2022, 10:16 AM
Elite Member

I know it doesn't help y'all in Canuckistan, but I'm very fortunate to have this outfit right down the road:

https://www.londervillesteel.com/
Old 06-30-2022, 11:07 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Team Tube in Edmonton
is where I got my 3.75" ram stock when I rebuilt my press.

Thanks Gerry!!

Will definitely be contacting them.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:56 PM
Elite Member

So it's time to ditch the lantern tool post and have more than a bunch of HSS bits to choose from. Been looking on scamazon and dabay for a wedge type (Aloris clone) tool post - seems relatively easy to find something that will work there.

Now onto insert tooling. Does it make sense to get a set that uses the same insert turned at different angles? Or a set that has a different insert for each tool bit? For instance I see some sets that use a TCMT or SCLC in all different orientations, while others have a unique insert for each bit. Obviously boring bars, cutoff tools, and threading tools excluded.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money simply because I don't use it a ton and I'm not expecting high precision. I would however like to turn simple things from time to time without a headache.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:11 AM
I can dig it

Save the cash and skip the sets. Realistically you need 1 or 2 basic tools. A right hand (turns from right to left, cutting edge is on the left side) turning tool, and a tool that will face. Depending on the geometry that can be a single tool used both ways, or two different tools.

Things like chamfers can be HSS ground to the angle, or larger angles the compound can be used.

For now, do some looking around. We use a lot of CCMT screw mount holders for line boring. Most of our toolholders are Kennametal, and run roughly $100 each Can. Bought some of these a while back, and for a third of the price we really don’t see a difference. I suspect if we smash an insert and damage the holder, these won’t fare as well as the kennametals, and are more apt to be replaced.

https://www.amazon.ca/Accusize-SCLC-...rp_0_0_sa&th=1

Import inserts for these are likely $5 each or so, maybe less. The Kennametals we buy run $20 each.

Just remember, the holder is the cheap part in the end if it sees lots of use. The inserts are the expensive part, particularly for home and hobby use.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:15 AM
Administrator

And down the rabbit hole we go. I started trying cheap China holders and inserts, and for the most part I have been happy with them. Maybe they don’t last as long as high name brand ones, but most of the ones that failed, I can mostly attribute to an human error. ( not the choice to use them initially error )

You will be limited to light cuts mostly on that lathe anyways. You may be best to try to get inserts that are “ polished” designed for aluminum. They will be sharpened to a sharper point, and should “cut or slice “vs “shear “ the metal off. I’ve heard this is easier on smaller lathes. Your results may vary.

I’ll try to add suggestions later with pictures.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-09-2024, 07:32 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
I'm not looking to spend a ton of money simply because I don't use it a ton and I'm not expecting high precision. I would however like to turn simple things from time to time without a headache.
For the past six months I have been tooling up for my other lathe figuring between then and 2025 items from china will increase three or four times that will place the cost above what I'm willing to pay later.
In case Trump will not play nice with China and Biden may start a war with China.

In general I use high speed tooling Cobalt for finishing and Brazed carbide for roughing
again HSS cobalt for finishing,
In-less you pay top dollar whatever carbide you buy requires heavy feeds in order to get a good finish in Steel
In theory the "minimum" depth of cut should be as deep as the radius, for the small lathes I try to find the smaller radius inserts.

I worked backwards looking for cheap inserts on eBay noticed on eBay 100 pack inserts at the right price
Then looked for a turning set of holders for the inserts

Purchased a turning set and did a small test in steel, I was impressed With straight turning far better then Brazed carbide
Facing did not do very well but it maybe my crappy lathe.
Did a little test with the boring bar it did ok but not real good for light cuts and the 10mm bar may be too small for heavy cuts.

Looking closely at the inserts after some cuts
best I can tell light finish cuts is going to place more wear on the inserts and heavy cuts little to no wear in steel.

I purchased a second back-up turning set should come in in a few days.

not to fool anyone as with carbide these like heavy cuts, an you will likely use HSS for finishing steel.

10mm "millimeter" turning set Search eBay number 265291615297 $23.00

100 inserts 266395566797 $35.00
DCMT070204

Side note:
this is a 10mm set just a little larger than 3/8"
The wild card with china is you can not rely on which manufacture the inserts comes from one set maybe good and the next bad, I have not had the time to try one in the 100 set.

Takes about three weeks from china.

what eBay has been doing, some items I look at one day then the next day eBay will place an eBay message of a discounted price but you have to look in your eBay messages they don't send me e-mails with discounts.
with all the discounts I picked up an 17pcs ER-40 Collet set for $48.57 total.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	170061   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	170062