Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Nothing wrong with bump bending, do the ends first and the middle last
I don't see the advantage of your suggestion to do the ends first.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
i dont get the benefit of a second mixing body, sounds like a lot of complication to me. if you have the labour to be able to constantly lay concrete while someone else makes it then I'd have thought a bigger pan would probably suffice. pan mixers are relatively common over here, and I've never heard someone wish they could have two on the go, it's hard work keeping one going.
The reason for two mixing pans is so one can be transported while the other is being mixed.

I failed to explain the the work site will be about 200 yards/meters away from the mixing site. I suppose it could take as long as 20 minutes for a pan to be deliverd, poured and then return. I want another batch ready to go.

In any case you have prompted me to reconsider my approach. I think I have discovered a better way to do this.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I don't see the advantage of your suggestion to do the ends first.
It's just a lot easier to do the ends first and doing the center last, otherwise it's a struggle getting the ends back into the brake especially when working with a large piece. Trust me if you try it you will like it.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Did I mention that I have little experience with concrete?
Oh my, that's not a good start

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 10-16-2018, 04:25 PM
I can dig it

In my experience, anything above 1-2 yards is best done by ready mix truck. That way the manpower can be used to place and finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 AM

as it was stated before 1 yard of concrete weighs in at 4000lbs,so even moving cross-terrain with that the weight of the mixer will require a stout truck,tractor or crawler loader to get it where it needs to go. Much less loading it with bulk materials. I'd rethink and go smaller with even a 1/2yard mixer would be a big machine(2000lbs just in wet concrete) but much easier to keep up with. Even so,I'd build any mixer out of 3/16" or better plate..price out a section of AR400 and I'll bet a ready-made mixer will come in at a competitive price,ready to go,no guesswork. The man-portable pan mixer like the 'bama' design rolls around on two wheelbarrow wheels for unloaded mixer moves..take it right to where you need it.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Some thing else to think about.
I have no idea what you have for equipment but a drum mixer would work much better I think and relatively easier to build. It could also run off the hydraulics or PTO of any tractor.
Just a thought.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
In my experience, anything above 1-2 yards is best done by ready mix truck. That way the manpower can be used to place and finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
The decision to build one was prompted by economics. At nearly $150.00 per yard, the cost of concrete is much higher than expected. When I look at my future concrete needs, at this rate I can see spending 20-30 thousand dollars on material alone. This is unacceptable to me.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
as it was stated before 1 yard of concrete weighs in at 4000lbs,so even moving cross-terrain with that the weight of the mixer will require a stout truck,tractor or crawler loader to get it where it needs to go. Much less loading it with bulk materials. I'd rethink and go smaller with even a 1/2yard mixer would be a big machine(2000lbs just in wet concrete) but much easier to keep up with. Even so,I'd build any mixer out of 3/16" or better plate..price out a section of AR400 and I'll bet a ready-made mixer will come in at a competitive price,ready to go,no guesswork. The man-portable pan mixer like the 'bama' design rolls around on two wheelbarrow wheels for unloaded mixer moves..take it right to where you need it.
I don't plan on moving the mixer. It will be powered by an electric motor, it must remain near my shop. I don't think moving 4000 lbs. will be a problem, even for my small tractor.

I think I have loading the mixer figured out as well. My plan for that is to make a special size/shape bucket for my backhoe or possibly use one I currently have.

Because of the distance of the build site, I think 1/2 yard mixer won't be enough. I don't want to haul 2000 lbs. of concrete 400 yards round trip with a tractor that can pull two or three times that much. I may be doing several 30 yard pours, that means 60 or more trips with a 1/2 yard load. I don't think there is enough time in a day to do that.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweldor View Post
Some thing else to think about.
I have no idea what you have for equipment but a drum mixer would work much better I think and relatively easier to build. It could also run off the hydraulics or PTO of any tractor.
Just a thought.
A friend of mine plans to build what you describe here.

One potential benefit of a drum mixer is the delivery point. Much like a mixer truck, these type deliver the concrete from up high. This allows one to use chutes and gravity to extend placement. A hydraulic motor would be ideal for this I think. With it, one could change the drum speed to control or even stop the flow.

I really must use what resource I already have to make this work and hydraulics is not one of them.