Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Auction Addict

Default Hex Indexing Jig

Thanks to digr, I started making a tool for quick indexing on the mill. It will be holding a 1/2" drill chuck for those odd sized pieces of round stock that I do not have a collet for. Bubba squared everything up on the nut with his surface grinder for me.

The nut is 2 5/8" and is less than .001 off across the flats.

Next is to turn a piece of round stock for a press fit in the hole in the nut. Then bore out a smaller 3/4" hole for the drill chuck arbor. This will be a slip fit and the nut will have two tapped holes to secure the drill chuck arbor. That way the drill chuck can be changed if necessary.

More later as I do some more machining work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2599.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	150857   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2600.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	150858  

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.

Last edited by milomilo; 05-26-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:10 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Thanks to digr, I started making a tool for quick indexing on the mill. It will be holding a 1/2" drill chuck for those odd sized pieces of round stock that I do not have a collet for. Bubba squared everything up on the nut with his surface grinder for me.

The nut is 2 5/8" and is less than .001 across the flats.

Next is to turn a piece of round stock for a press fit in the hole in the nut. Then bore out a smaller 3/4" hole for the drill chuck arbor. This will be a slip fit and the nut will have two tapped holes to secure the drill chuck arbor. That way the drill chuck can be changed if necessary.

More later as I do some more machining work.
Chris, don't You have an indexer? you could make a piece of round to fit one of the collets with the chuck on it. ??

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Chris, don't You have an indexer? you could make a piece of round to fit one of the collets with the chuck on it. ??
Yes, I have a spin indexer. No 5C collets yet. This nut system is a quicker way to put 3 flats on a drill.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I like the idea, Chris. Keep on cookin'

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Auction Addict

Finished it off today. Drilled a hole and added a roll in between the nut and the insert. Drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 holes for set screws to hold the drill chuck arbor in the insert. The insert was machined .001 over and took about 5 tons pressure to push it in. Need to find a chuck key next. Have one but not a good fit, but works kind of.

Thought it would also work for doing flats on a drill, but it does not center a two flute drill accurately in the drill chuck. Maybe have to buy the 5C collet set I have been putting off. Still good for round stock though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2601.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	150960   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2602.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	150961   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2603.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	150962   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2604.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	150963   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2605.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	150964  

Old 05-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Auction Addict

More pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2606.jpg
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	150965   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2607.jpg
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	150966   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2608.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	150967   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2611.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	150968  

Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Finished it off today. Drilled a hole and added a roll in between the nut and the insert. Drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 holes for set screws to hold the drill chuck arbor in the insert. The insert was machined .001 over and took about 5 tons pressure to push it in. Need to find a chuck key next. Have one but not a good fit, but works kind of.

Thought it would also work for doing flats on a drill, but it does not center a two flute drill accurately in the drill chuck. Maybe have to buy the 5C collet set I have been putting off. Still good for round stock though.
Chris, the ones from CDCO have bee working out well and priced right plus I had ordered the three main square stock sizes of 5c collets. or the ones I mainly use 1/2, 3/4, and 1". they were too cheap priced not to at the time.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:54 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Chris, the ones from CDCO have bee working out well and priced right plus I had ordered the three main square stock sizes of 5c collets. or the ones I mainly use 1/2, 3/4, and 1". they were too cheap priced not to at the time.
Been watching Ebay for a used set. Hoping to get a full 1/64th set at used prices.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Been watching Ebay for a used set. Hoping to get a full 1/64th set at used prices.
Chris.

I'll go through and see tomorrow what I have in the way of extras in the 5C collets and let ya know the sizes...

I think I have some "might" have some German manufactured collets if my memory serves right...

I'm just not sure of if they "are or are not" oddball sizes and prolly not a full set. but you'd be welcome to them if they are what you need.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Chris.

I'll go through and see tomorrow what I have in the way of extras in the 5C collets and let ya know the sizes...

I think I have some "might" have some German manufactured collets if my memory serves right...

I'm just not sure of if they "are or are not" oddball sizes and prolly not a full set. but you'd be welcome to them if they are what you need.
I probably need a complete set. Thanks for looking though.