Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Auction Addict

Default Jonsered 2036 Chainsaw

Looks like there will be some repairs needed for the 1997 Jonsered 2036 chainsaw. Is running OK, but pumping out way too much bar oil. Cannot find the adjustment screw. Also cannot find an owners manual so I can find the location for the adjustment screw. Hoping it is adjustable. I know my Stihl is not adjustable. I cannot even find a source to find the spark plug gap. It is set at .020 but not sure that is correct.

The chain brake is toast as well. $38 to replace it, along with the new air filter and fuel filter.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:16 PM
The Real Deal

Manual............The repair manual is there also, oiler is on page 66

Last edited by digr; 01-03-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Manual............The repair manual is there also, oiler is on page 66
Thanks Ted. Looks like a false alarm now. With the costs of parts he decided to scrap it. Wish he had told me ahead of time what the max costs would be. I took the bar and chain and put them in my spares.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Thanks Ted. Looks like a false alarm now. With the costs of parts he decided to scrap it. Wish he had told me ahead of time what the max costs would be. I took the bar and chain and put them in my spares.

Who needs a chain brake? Thousands of people have survived before they started adding those to saws.. Then again, maybe that might have helped my dad from sawing half thru his knee one time, then again, maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-04-2021, 02:24 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Jonsered has always been sorta known as the "other" Swedish chainsaw. I've never used one myself but I know people who have and they say the saws are just fine for what most people need. Still, they've never achieved the level of popularity that Stihl or Husqvarna have.

I've always been interested in the history/back story of companies I encounter so it comes as no surprise that I did a little digging here. Jonsered (the company) was started by a Scot in 1832. For some reason I knew this already; I guess from past research, but the rest of this clip from Wikipedia is interesting:

"The Scotsman William Gibson, who had immigrated to Sweden in his youth, founded a textile mill in 1832 in Jonsered. His sons later took over the company that remained in the family's control until the 1920s. In 1872 the company became a limited company, Jonsered Fabriker AB, diversifying its textile output. By the 1880s it was producing and exporting woodworking machines along with its textiles, with one notable production being canvas. The Jonsered sailing canvas was very well known in the 1800s in Sweden and gave the company a good reputation. Another important textile product were fire hoses (until 1975), many of them still in use today.

In the 1950s Jonsereds Fabrikers AB started producing the chain saw model "Raket" (Rocket) which, along with its successors, became a major success and Jonsereds started exporting chain saws worldwide with the biggest export market being North America. Another success was the forest crane production that started about 1959. The most profitable unit was the tarpaulin production. In 1969 the company started to shut down its textile part and evolving into a pure engineering industry with customers in the forest industry as the main customer group, with the tarpaulin unit being kept within the company.

In 1975 it became a subsidiary of Investment AB Asken. Asken came in financial difficulties and parts of Jonsereds AB were shut down and others sold. In 1978 it was sold to Electrolux and production of chainsaws was later moved to Husqvarna. Husqvarna still maintains an R&D unit in Jonsered. The tarpaulin unit was also acquired by Electrolux but later sold. The brand "Jonsereds" is still in use by its current owner Hallbyggarna."

When Jonsereds was sold to Electrolux in 1978 the sale was actually made to Husqvarna which Electrolux had recently purchased. When Husqvarna was spun off in 2006 it became a stand alone company specializing in chain saws, lawn care and other small power equipment. At the moment they own the following related brands:

Husqvarna
Gardena
McCulloch
PoulanPro
Weed Eater
Flymo
Jonsered

A little side note on Electrolux. They're another large Swedish conglomerate, generally considered to be the second largest appliance manufacturer in the world after Whirlpool. The achieved this status in 2014 when they bought GE Appliances...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

"Nothing sucks like Electrolux" (rejected ad copy)

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
"Nothing sucks like Electrolux" (rejected ad copy)

I think I remember my parents having one of those vacuums.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden