Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Elite Member

Default Another Jeep J20 Build

The frame rails are too far apart. There is usually some variation between the frames, some are a bit tight, some loose but 7/8ā€ is too much. I could simply install the crossmember and squeeze them together as the attaching bolts are tightened but this would impart additional and continuous stress on the already crack prone flanges of the crossmember.

Iā€™m not sure when or how this occurred. It may have happened when I cut the original rusted section out for the previous repair. I recall hearing a rather loud pop at the end of one of the cuts. Some spreading may have also occurred when I welded the new section on.

Notice the series of paint chips in the flanges of the frame rail. These were caused from heavy hammer blows while the squeezing was taking place. This hammering helps to reduce the spring back of the rails when the force of the load binders is released. When hammering I alternate blows from side to side. Completing all the blows on one side first and then the other may cause an uneven balance of relief as the first side will likely have more stress during hammering than the second.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	159071
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	198DFD68-C9CE-4BF9-B04A-23094EBC2479.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	159068  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by toprecycler; 01-04-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:58 AM
Elite Member

These are the front brake caliper mounting brackets. As often happens, the shield has rusted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	74342413-BEF4-4D45-81EC-ED802CD08EA6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	159099  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:59 AM
Elite Member

The tooling I will use to make new ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9CF7F7BA-DB6C-4698-A3C2-F4BA824216B1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	159100  

Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Elite Member

There are two flanges on this piece, one inboard and one outboard.

I start with a 2ā€ wide strip of sheet steel placed in the form. Here I have started to tip the outboard flange.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F033A75E-937E-43E0-A9F9-656F04B1D27A.jpg
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	159101  

Old 01-05-2021, 08:05 AM
Elite Member

The flange is complete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E4BD2FD-7EEB-4E1A-A6AF-C9869A91794D.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	159102  

Old 01-05-2021, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

The inboard flange. I made a series of relief cuts because unlike the outboard flange this one is being shrunk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B44885E3-1A6D-4E8B-BE48-8A2791BE53CB.jpg
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	159103