Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-08-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akra86 View Post
Im aiming for low 11s. Putting a 4.56 gear in as well. Gonna use the stock 28 spline fbody axles and be easy on the launches (no clutch dump) if it breaks, well it breaks. I think it will be alright, except for the axles which ill do a 31 spline carrier after I test it out
Um, I know that the Explorer axles have 31splines, I was under the impression that the Ranger ones were the same since it's the same chassis. Be aware that you need to go up to 33's before you're as strong as a stock 12bolt.

Be aware that as you go with steeper gears you loose gear contact and any case flex becomes a bigger deal. A 4.56 pinion gear will be tiny and have 9 teeth vs a more typical 3.73 which will have 11 and be proportionately larger and stronger. Also, that's a lot of rpm, with a typical 28" tall tire you'll likely be going through the last beam at a 1/4mile at 7000-7200rpm, what does an LS3 rev to?

Without positive axle retention, I wouldn't be as indifferent about "if it breaks it breaks..." Things get really exciting really fast when an axle breaks and you don't have anything holding them in. I've snapped a stock 28 spline axle on an 11-second pass... Technically this also won't pass tech.

The more I think about it and the more you tell us about your setup I think that this is a bad idea for your car.

Quote:
68 volts at the terminals by the way, just checked
Wow... really? I guess that one is a good one.
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
THIS ^^^^ seems legit if you could bear the shame of a Ford 8.8 in your TA. Very good info in the description about welding it in which mirrors much of the scintillating advice already proffered by the wizards here...
This setup has existed for probably 15years or so for f-bodies since ford 8.8's are probably the most common/cheapest rear out there that can handle some power. If it really bothered someone they could just pretend it's a chevy 12 bolt since the 8.8 is basically a copy. Heck, when people get serious the majority go for ford 9" rears so I don't see how this is that much worse.

I've wondered if there's a market for already converted axles. I have 3, maybe 4 3rd and 4th gen f-body axles sitting around here. I believe every single one has broken gears in it , I've broken I think 7 sets of gears in them when I used to race more, when I raced my '97 WS6 I actually had a spare axle housing and I would just swap the whole thing when I broke one and then rebuild it outside of the car in my spare time (I used to do fabrication and installs for a speed shop, I got a rebuild of down to <$200). I think I have 2 or 3, 8.8's (I'd have to go look at the pile) as well as a few sets of 8.8" posi clutches to do rebuilds....

I could set them up with whatever guts anyone wanted (gears, spline counts, posi/spool), add proper housing ends for positive axle retention... The trick would be to keep costs down low enough that people would still consider them a deal vs a full aftermarket axle.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Ive broken 5 gearsets in the 10 bolt man!

Heres my plan - build this housing. Youre right, 4.56 gears are small compared to a lower ratio, but still have a larger diameter than any 10 bolt gears. Im going to put it together and rock the 28 spline crap, and test it. Down the road, it seems to be a no brainer Ill be using an explorer 31 spline carrier with custom axles. Guys have gone really fast on this setup, you know as well as I. Lets give it a shot!
My LS3 is a big cam, decked heads combo (11:1 static). I turn it to 7000 all day long. May turn it a little more if necessary. SBE motor, dont want those rod bolts to stretch!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
LOL, thats the exact mount Im using, just not as pretty. And damnit its going.to work! Going to weld the mount to the diff this sunday, wish me luck. Going to practicd preheating my spare housing first then go at it. Going to do exactly what shade told me to do.
How are you measuring your preheat?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
How are you measuring your preheat?

Shade I have an IR thermometer gun, from harbor freight im assuming.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Shade I have an IR thermometer gun, from harbor freight im assuming.
That'll work.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Grumpy Bastard

You are disassembling the rear end before welding on it correct???

Old 11-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You are dissembling the rear end before welding on it correct???

Yes sir!!
Shade, any tips before I weld that bracket on sunday? Did you see my Nirod passes?
Old 11-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Yes sir!!
Shade, any tips before I weld that bracket on sunday? Did you see my Nirod passes?
Yes, I did.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did.

It concerns me that you dont have any tips. Lol