Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
... I already called them. They have no interest in talking with me. They did give me my location number for new service but the electrician has to call when ready. ...
Which power company serves your area? Just curious.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Gadget Girl

National grid.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
National grid.
Mass Electric, or used to be I guess. Not sure if I ever did any business with them, it's been so long. I sold stuff into the utility industry for 30 years or so, mostly the electric meter departments and later the transmission & distribution guys. There are some good folks (and good advice) if you get past the front office.

One shop supervisor at Rochester Gas & Electric in NY told me he would come home after work, dig a hole in the back yard and fill it in. Just so he could say he started something and finished it in the same day.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Default teaching facility lights

Jennifer,
I just did an install of 16 of these 200W LED high bay lights..they work really good,easy to hang with just a #12 jack chain off a screw-in hook from your ceiling.These would probably work good for your facility.

https://www.eledlights.com/led-light...round-ufo.html

I used the 200watt High Bay lights,they are super high output at around 32,000lumens..the facility is 40ft wide x 100ft long with a 20ft ceiling and walls are white metal..you could drop down to a 150watt fixture and probably be OK with it.
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room
Old 11-05-2019, 05:12 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Mass Electric, or used to be I guess. Not sure if I ever did any business with them, it's been so long. I sold stuff into the utility industry for 30 years or so, mostly the electric meter departments and later the transmission & distribution guys. There are some good folks (and good advice) if you get past the front office.

One shop supervisor at Rochester Gas & Electric in NY told me he would come home after work, dig a hole in the back yard and fill it in. Just so he could say he started something and finished it in the same day.
If you can get past the front office.

I can relate. I used to be a 10item list person per day. this became 5 then 3, and now I'm just happy to get out of bed and at the end of the day get back into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
Jennifer,
I just did an install of 16 of these 200W LED high bay lights..they work really good,easy to hang with just a #12 jack chain off a screw-in hook from your ceiling.These would probably work good for your facility.

https://www.eledlights.com/led-light...round-ufo.html

I used the 200watt High Bay lights,they are super high output at around 32,000lumens..the facility is 40ft wide x 100ft long with a 20ft ceiling and walls are white metal..you could drop down to a 150watt fixture and probably be OK with it.
Thanks. helpful info as I will be looking for lights eventually. Still no word on delivery date and I understand eveyrthing happens when its supposed to.

I am amazed how people don't want my money and then the people who do, don't want to deliver what they are selling.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 11-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Thanks. helpful info as I will be looking for lights eventually. Still no word on
delivery date and I understand eveyrthing happens when its supposed to.

I am amazed how people don't want my money and then the people who do,
don't want to deliver what they are selling.
Call and cancel the order, I bet you get some answers fast.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

Jenn,

I apologize, didn't realize you asked me about lighting. 20', I have no idea. My little woodshop is only 24' X24' with a peaked ceiling of maybe 14'. I currently have fluorescent lights, been wanting to go to the lens but here our big box stores have them where you can daisy chain them together but their reviews are varied between those who love them, those who say they don't last. So I don't have any specific recommendations from personal experience.

I do not know the brand or any specifics on the lens put in my school shops, but will say they are more than twice as bright as the old lighting.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Gadget Girl

So yesterday Bison steel called and said they are ready to ship.

So, delivery is next friday. Not tomorrow but the 15.

Next Wednesday the storage container arrives, thursday the insulation arrives to go into the storage container and friday the building arrives.

I was told setting up the 2 middle I beams is the most important and the most time consuming. Once they are up and the purlins are in and cables strung the rest of it is supposed to go pretty fast.

Shade No need to cancel the order..

Total cost of just the building alone is about 31K

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 11-09-2019, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

Jennifer, are you having the building put up for you. Are you overseeing the process to make sure it is done right?

If the foundation layout is right, it will go up pretty quick with the right equipment and manpower. But if a post mount is off a inch or two (or 4) it can really start to screw things up. I got to help troubleshoot a crew putting up a 100’x400’ building because they were spinning their wheels after a couple wasted days. The general contractor stated that the foundation layout was right and verified, but when the post mounting bolts that were poured into the concrete that I detrimined were growing and shrinking a couple inches, really made for some misaligned bolts holes up top. Have a torch handy to make some holes bigger.
Of course it didn’t help that the bridge crane beams were made wrong length too.
The company putting up the framework loss their A$$ on that job due to the mess up of the concrete contractor, and by not verifying the layout first.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Jennifer, are you having the building put up for you. Are you overseeing the process to make sure it is done right?

If the foundation layout is right, it will go up pretty quick with the right equipment and manpower. But if a post mount is off a inch or two (or 4) it can really start to screw things up. I got to help troubleshoot a crew putting up a 100’x400’ building because they were spinning their wheels after a couple wasted days. The general contractor stated that the foundation layout was right and verified, but when the post mounting bolts that were poured into the concrete that I detrimined were growing and shrinking a couple inches, really made for some misaligned bolts holes up top. Have a torch handy to make some holes bigger.
Of course it didn’t help that the bridge crane beams were made wrong length too.
The company putting up the framework loss their A$$ on that job due to the mess up of the concrete contractor, and by not verifying the layout first.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
No, it's all on me. Not sure how its going to work. I figure I can recruit a few people to come over and work the the machine while i raise the middle structure. I'm not sure what is really going to happen.

I took out a 3 month lease on the storage container so if I have to wait till next spring then so be it.

I don't really have anybody capable to help me persay. So, we will see how it all works out being we are in November now.

I personally walked the posts and looked at all the mountings for the building. They might need some tweaking but guess this is kind of normal.. When I say tweaking I mean little adjustments.

What ever it is. I'm capable of making it happen. Always easier to have help though.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"