Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Dozer fuel tank repair

I've got a 1975 JD 450C crawler dozer (diesel) that has a leaking fuel tank. Machine has been sitting for years and the tank is dry (all leaked out). Will need to remove the tank and repair. Suspect the leak is in the bottom area, possible at a weld.

What is my best bet to repair this? Should I use some sort of JB weld, or should I weld it up?

What is the correct process to weld on a tank like this? Rinse with water and then fill with water before welding?

Thanks
Wayne
Old 06-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Grumpy Bastard

If it is full of water and leaking you will not be able to weld it. It was diesel just rinse it good and weld it. If you are paranoid purge it with Argon or CO2 first.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-26-2006, 09:07 PM
the hat

The best way to clean it is with a steam cleaner or hot water pressure washer-pull all the plugs and just leave the wand in there for 1/2 hr or so and your good to go, or you can have your local radiator shop hot tank it for you. Plug all the openings and put 2 or 3 psi air pressure in it and use soap to check for leaks-I use an old vacum-fuel pressure gauge so I don't over do the pressure. If a weld is cracked grind it out and reweld.If it's a crack drill the ends(so it doesn't spread) and weld it.If it is wore thru then you can put a patch over the thin spot. Retest when your done to make sure you have it.
HTH Bill
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

I'd tig weld it, than coat the inside with POR 15, for a permanet fix.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM
from the land of fruits and nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
It was diesel just rinse it good and weld it.
That is stupid advice and liable to get somebody killed. It may work 99 times, but the consequences of having the right conditions for explosion are great enough you want 100% certainty it is safe. Why play russian roulette?? We see pictures and hear stories all the time of the guys who did, petroleum containers are nothing to get casual or flippant about.

I will mention that I do more than a few fuel and oil tanks, yes gasoline too, but my safety proceedures for all tanks are considerably more thorough and rigid than the quote above. I don't plan on becoming the next statistic or story.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calweld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
It was diesel just rinse it good and weld it.

That is stupid advice and liable to get somebody killed. It may work 99 times, but the consequences of having the right conditions for explosion are great enough you want 100% certainty it is safe. Why play russian roulette?? We see pictures and hear stories all the time of the guys who did, petroleum containers are nothing to get casual or flippant about.

I will mention that I do more than a few fuel and oil tanks, yes gasoline too, but my safety proceedures for all tanks are considerably more thorough and rigid than the quote above. I don't plan on becoming the next statistic or story.
I Agree with Shade Tree Welder,.....................'ell,..... I've Brazed Diesel Fuel Tanks that Still had Fuel IN them.............

I think that calweld & the hat just Overly Paranoid.............

Diesel Fuel is Pretty Hard to Get Going,.....
Last summer I needed a Sluiceway,+ Had a couple of Home Fuel Tanks,.......

Both tanks had a few quarts of Fuel left in them,....... About 1/2 to 3/4s thru cutting them up,... There'd be a small Fire,+ Flare up,..... I let the fuel burn off,+ slowed the Flare Up with a Garden Hose,.........
1 afternoon got me to Here........

Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Exclamation Fuel tank repair

Diesel fuel tanks are more forgiving than gasoline or other aromatic solvent tanks are , but they can still catch fire . I do purge any tank if it has had in the last few months or still does have any fuel in it , better than burning down the shop . But if the tank has been empty for years and is dry inside , no residue from the fuel you can weld on them I you are careful . A purge is a good idea from the stand point of safety , but is not always needed .
Tank sealers , Rest-O-motive Labs in New Jersey Makes U.S. Standard Fuel Tank Sealer , I have used this product in the fuel tank on my portable buzzsaw and have been extremely satisfied with its preformance to date , it sealed the small re-occuring leak on the soldered seam of the tank and made it easier to inspect the interior of the tank for foreign matter . If you decide to go this way you will need to follow the directions to the letter , Do not try to short cut the process or you will have a mess on your hands !! You can see this product at < www.por15.com > click on fuel system restoration and then click on tank sealer . You will need Marine Clean and Metal Ready also . You can download the directions on the bottom of the web page . As I said earlier on this page I have been and still am satisfied with this product . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 AM
no bull it's huge!

Quote:

Hate to say it but you're calling alot of people stupid. Yes safety and proper precautions are important however diesel fuel is very difficult to get to an explosive condition in a tank with limited oxygen to start with.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
That is stupid advice ...
There's a thousand ways to say "here's a better way", or "you need to get another opinion"....... that stupid isn't one of them.
Three of the cheapest grinders money can buy
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 AM

I once built a 2'x2'x8' diesel transfer tank out of diamond plate alum for a truck bed and the owner came and got it and filled it up and ran it a few days and came back and said it had a pinhole in one of the welds. The fuel was down below the hole so I just had him to run the truck up on a crib block so the fuel would be on the other end. Just took the cap off and ground a little where the hole was and welded it with prob 50-60 gal of fuel in it

James

SAGO MINE TRAGEDY
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
1-2-06