Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-19-2021, 11:03 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Are they low block or high block motors?
The first low block 6/71 I owned was a 60 Kw gen set
later 4 valve high blocks made 100 KW and with a turbo 150 kw.
Of course they all spewed oil out the air box drains and used 30% more fuel per Kw than newer engine designs.

That engine series is by far the most versatile engine ever built you could set it up right hand rotation or left hand rotation then put all the external jewelry on either the left or right side or some of it on each side.
this made it possible to to use up to four 6-71 engines as a single 24 cylinder power unit.there is also a flat or "pancake" set up used in busses.

Then you add the various displacement versions 53 cu in /cylinder
or 71 or 92 110 or 149 cu in and you realize yet again how versatile this design was.
The biggest I ever owned was a 16V149 4t that made 2.2 MW at 1800 RPM
That is almost 3000 hp.

A friend had a war time 6/71 outboard style unit.
These were put aboard merchant ships in convoys. the theory was that the convoy sailed at its set speed if you lost propulsion you were certain to be torpedoed but if you could move you had a chance.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:13 PM

was the 6-71 outboard for emergency power or prime mover? That sounds like an interesting piece of history.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

The tows on the Erie canal system used an outboard unit to move the lead barge through the lock. The barges were to long to go through as a full tow. The unit sat on the deck with the out drive in the air most of the time. for locking through, it was lowered and used to pull the barge into the lock. After it was locked through the second barge and tug would fit through. IIRC it was a Murrey-Tragertha unit with a 6-71 engine.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:34 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
was the 6-71 outboard for emergency power or prime mover? That sounds like an interesting piece of history.
They were for emergency use.
They had to be lowered over the side on a crane and welded to the hull
They were intended to reduce losses from U-boats
A stopped ship can be torpedoed from max range but even a little forward way and rudder control means that the effective torpedo range is significantly reduced because the ship can manuver out of the torpedoes path on longer shots.