Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Pat's Avatar
Pat Pat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,808
Default Ordering Dayton Parts from Grainger

Is it just me, or does Grainger tend to be rather really slow on sending parts for their Dayton branded products. Last year the switch for the grinder at work went bad and there was over a 2 month wait for the replacement switch. About 6 weeks ago the recoil spring that raises the drill press arbor assembly broke, and was ordered. I would have thought that Grainger would stock most of these parts, or have a quicker delivery system.

Dayton shop tools seem to be of lesser quality than the major brands, so I wonder why we keep getting this junk when other brands are lower cost and higher quality...............bean counters that have no tool knowledge?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 22,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Is it just me, or does Grainger tend to be rather really slow on sending parts for their Dayton branded products. Last year the switch for the grinder at work went bad and there was over a 2 month wait for the replacement switch. About 6 weeks ago the recoil spring that raises the drill press arbor assembly broke, and was ordered. I would have thought that Grainger would stock most of these parts, or have a quicker delivery system.

Dayton shop tools seem to be of lesser quality than the major brands, so I wonder why we keep getting this junk when other brands are lower cost and higher quality...............bean counters that have no tool knowledge?
To be honest, in my opinion, Grainger is:
Over priced.
Poor quality.
Pathetic service.
Almost zero product knowledge.

In the past 20 years I have only done business with them once or twice
as a result. Sometimes it cannot be avoided.

McMaster can be a little pricey, have great service, good if not great product
knowledge and you have often have several levels of quality to choose from
when selecting your product.

So talk with the bean heads and point the cost out to them. Then get your
equipment switched over as it breaks. Or call McMaster, they often have
crosses available for Grainger/Dayton parts as you're not the first with this
issue.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Scotts's Avatar
Scotts Scotts is online now
Stuff, Just stuff
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 5,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
To be honest, in my opinion, Grainger is:
Over priced.
Poor quality.
Pathetic service.
Almost zero product knowledge.

In the past 20 years I have only done business with them once or twice
as a result. Sometimes it cannot be avoided.

McMaster can be a little pricey, have great service, good if not great product
knowledge and you have often have several levels of quality to choose from
when selecting your product.

So talk with the bean heads and point the cost out to them. Then get your
equipment switched over as it breaks. Or call McMaster, they often have
crosses available for Grainger/Dayton parts as you're not the first with this
issue.
Well said. I feel the same way and get treated the same way there.

Scott
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Pat's Avatar
Pat Pat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,808
Default

Thanks for the feedback. At least I know I am not alone. I have never really cared for Grainger. I like how their Rep,s tell you how much of a discount you can receive, but even if there is an actuall discount, it usually still costs more from them.

That switch we were waiting for is actually a common type of power equipment switch that could be purchased at many places, but the powers that be wanted original for OSHA purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 22,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
... but the powers that be wanted original for OSHA purposes.
somebody has no clue and needs a little education...
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 10,022
Default

the only good thing about Graingers is they are almost everywhere, very handy for Sq D parts, fuses, relays, motor contactors and starters .They are expensive, hard to deal with and arrogant. I know companies that buy everything they use from Graingers, from screws to nut, toilet paper to test equipment, a lot like Fastenal, they make it easy to buy from them, just not cheaply.


jack
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Cavalry's Avatar
Cavalry Cavalry is offline
Below Wholesale
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Evil Empire State
Posts: 9,036
Default

I buy quite a bit from Grainger. Its not my money so I dont mind spending a little more for next day delivery and its usually in stock. I very rarely have issues with Dayton parts. Usually they are delivered within 3 bus days. The only time they really pissed me off was a 30" floor fan. I had bought 4 of these fans at around $250 each and one cooked the motor in 7 months. I found out the parts were no longer available for that fan. I called up my account manager and tore him a new asshole and mentioned that the MSC rep calls me at least once a week. The next day there were 4 complete fans sitting on my dock with a no-charge invoice.
__________________
Director of Cryptography-Upstate NY Division
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
flametamer's Avatar
flametamer flametamer is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Benton, Mississippi
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
The only time they really pissed me off was a 30" floor fan. I had bought 4 of these fans at around $250 each and one cooked the motor in 7 months.
We've had motor problems with those fans too.

I use Grainger quite a bit at work. The are in town, so it's easy to go get something vs. ordering. If it's not in stock, they ship from the warehouse which is south of Memphis so it's there next day. We also deal with a local co. that started as an ACE hardware store, and has now grown into an industrial supplier, 4 ACE stores, a machine & tool supply and more. I haven't dealt with Fastenal before, but we do have a few around.

Dt
__________________
Sero Sed Serio
Acta non verba
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Brian C.'s Avatar
Brian C. Brian C. is offline
Director of Security
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waverly, OH
Posts: 2,862
Default

Fastenal has a store about 20 miles from me. The only time I tried to buy from them was a disaster.

I wanted some copper rivets (like harness makers use), and some plain black iron rivets. No go, didnt have a clue what I was talking about. But he did make a good effort at trying to sell me some of their wonderful pop rivets.
__________________
"Getting old aint for sissies"

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.