Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 AM

SmokinDodge,

If you're already a 2-stroke guy, you will already know what I'm about to say and can ignore it. If not, you have a bit of a learning curve in front of you. There is plenty of good information about these engines available on the internet. Here are four major considerations: * Detroit 2-strokes need special engine oil. Single viscosity, plus it must meet several other specific specifications. I used Delo 100, but all the major oil companies have (or had) one. (These engines were last manufactured in 1994.) You'll have to order this oil. Do NOT use multi-viscosity oil. It will clog up your oil control rings and the thing will start smoking. * Detroit 2-strokes HATE to idle. Each time you start it, just build air and drive gently for the first five or ten minutes. * Detroit 2-strokes HATE to be lugged. Normally run down the highway at at least 1800 RPM. Run up to the governor every shift. You must always be able to run up and hit the governor when you goose it. If you can't, you're in too high a gear for the conditions. They are called 'screaming Detroits' for a reason. * Detroit 2-strokes are EXTREMELY easy to overheat. With a 4-stroke, you can let it get up to 230 degrees once in a while without problems. NOT with a Detroit. Start freaking out and grab a couple of gears if your temp gauge gets up to 200 degrees. Seriously. That's why it has a water leak right now. Someone drove it like it was a 4-stroke and warped one or both heads. You made the correct decision to carry it home rather than try to drive it. Detroit 2-strokes don't have a real head gasket. There are rubber 0-rings at each water passage between the head and the block. That's all. The head and the block are mostly metal to metal contact. When you get it home, pull off both heads, strip them, and send them out to be shaved. Put 'em back on and you'll be fine. Note: "Running the Rack" is a fine art. Follow the book directions to the letter. Hang in there, SmokinDodge, you can do this. Detroit 2-stroke engines are just a little bit different from all of the 4-strokes out there. (I was a Detroit mechanic for a bus company and took the factory training ... 35 years ago.)

Last edited by ~0le; 07-05-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~0le View Post
SmokinDodge,

If you're already a 2-stroke guy, you will already know what I'm about to say and can ignore it. If not, you have a bit of a learning curve in front of you. There is plenty of good information about these engines available on the internet. Here are four major considerations: * Detroit 2-strokes need special engine oil. Single viscosity, plus it must meet several other specific specifications. I used Delo 100, but all the major oil companies have (or had) one. (These engines were last manufactured in 1994.) You'll have to order this oil. Do NOT use multi-viscosity oil. It will clog up your oil control rings and the thing will start smoking. * Detroit 2-strokes HATE to idle. Each time you start it, just build air and drive gently for the first five or ten minutes. * Detroit 2-strokes HATE to be lugged. Normally run down the highway at at least 1800 RPM. Run up to the governor every shift. You must always be able to run up and hit the governor when you goose it. If you can't, you're in too high a gear for the conditions. They are called 'screaming Detroits' for a reason. * Detroit 2-strokes are EXTREMELY easy to overheat. With a 4-stroke, you can let it get up to 230 degrees once in a while without problems. NOT with a Detroit. Start freaking out and grab a couple of gears if your temp gauge gets up to 200 degrees. Seriously. That's why it has a water leak right now. Someone drove it like it was a 4-stroke and warped one or both heads. You made the correct decision to carry it home rather than try to drive it. Detroit 2-strokes don't have a real head gasket. There are rubber 0-rings at each water passage between the head and the block. That's all. The head and the block are mostly metal to metal contact. When you get it home, pull off both heads, strip them, and send them out to be shaved. Put 'em back on and you'll be fine. Note: "Running the Rack" is a fine art. Follow the book directions to the letter. Hang in there, SmokinDodge, you can do this. Detroit 2-stroke engines are just a little bit different from all of the 4-strokes out there. (I was a Detroit mechanic for a bus company and took the factory training ... 35 years ago.)

Thanks for the info. It was appreciated by me anyways. Neil has had some training them in school. He helped me a bit with a 353 in my end loader a couple years ago. At least I can get it to run and idle now. And it likes to smoke a bit, but that’s just mosquito repellent I say.

Maybe the oil is the main problem with it now.
I’m real bad with maintenance on it, but I probably put 20-50 hours on it a year and I can’t remember when I’ve had to add oil the last time. I think it might have been when I last changed oil and filter, probably before 2008. It does not leak/ burn engine oil. Now transmission fluid, that’s another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~0le View Post
SmokinDodge,

Thanks for the info. I have a 3-71 in an allis dozer and I help the local sawmill with their 6-71 time to time.

This one has a 60 series 12.7 with two stage jakes. Should be relatively cheap on fuel and enough power at 350/400 to do what I need to do.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Made From Scratch

This thread just keeps getting better. 4 wheeling/rock crawling is a hobby I could definitely get into but will never happen with the schedule we're keeping showing horses. Just got home from a 10 day show and have 4 days to fix all the shit they broke at home before I haul out again.

I know your work schedule is crazy and I commend you for making time to work on fun projects when you can (and also for stopping to take pics and post them, that is hard to do when you get rolling). I'm sure my mental state would be better if I made myself go do something fun in the shop but its hard to make the switch when you're already out there for work. Seems like I used to have more energy than this.

The trail pics are great. The farthest I've made it west was a straight through trip to Fort Worth Texas for a horse show so that whole region of rocks and desert is new to me. I really want to explore that part of the country some day.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:17 PM
Elite Member

I was doing bus maintenance for a drum corps, that's is how I got my marching band instructors. The drivers were "Volunteer", that means they couldn't shift a non - synchronized transmission and they didn't have a clue on when to down shift. They could take out a clutch in three trips. I kept telling them, "don't go below 40MPH in 4th gear!" They would take it to 20mph, and because it didn't "Buck" like a gas job, they kept lugging it. I could pull the head and count piston rings looking down from the top of the engine. The old drivers at the truck terminal would say, "Slam your hand in the door and keep the engine screaming." The Driptroit" was designed as a marine engine, it is rather difficult to lug a propeller. The power band was from 1400 to 2100rpm and you tried to keep it over 1700. The first time I drove a Series 60 Detroit it screamed at me "Over Speed". It was a totally different animal.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 07-05-2021, 10:23 PM
Post Fiend

Got her scrubbed up and looking almost presentable. I’m so proud of oldest. She is hard charging and never lets up. That’s a 3800 psi engine drive pressure washer with a turbo tip and she kept volunteering for more washing. She genuinely likes helping. My heart is absolutely full at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47F9F31D-BB2C-479F-B7A1-1C9C45D06AD2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	160907   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C7A8B8E-DF74-43D7-99D8-457D108EC980.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	160908   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA7D3414-617D-49A1-9E8F-454F592CC5C0.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	160909  
Old 07-06-2021, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Amazing what a wash job can do! And you got a great helper there too. Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-06-2021, 04:52 PM
Auction Addict

Pretty fine looking rig.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated