Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl-nc View Post
Bought a drill bit from a local core drill guy here. he hooked me up with some good info. Think I'm all set (I hope)
Well, what did he say?

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

IRRC, 42 verticle feet of head = 100 psi, so you could work out psi per foot from that.
I don't think you have to worry about high pressure to drill a foot of concrete, it is better to be sure you have water volume. The rotating bit will provide some pumping action, and having enough fluid to lift the cuttings to the surface is all you need.
Too little volume and you will create mud and get the bit stuck.

A 300 gallon tote should be more than enough.

But isn't that just classic? get all set up and the customer goes limp

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM

Karl NC, I have drilled well over a thousand holes over the years on several hundred jobs.

Green concrete drills pretty easy, However you are likely going to encounter rebar on a retaining wall and when you do take it easy and let the bit do the work, dont force it just keep a little presure on it an it will eventually cut through.

Some specs call for you to drill 4" and some call for 6" deep, I always go 4" deep unless they call out for 6".

The product that you will use to install them is called hydraulic cement,
There are a few different companies that make it ( I prefer Rockite ) It seems to set the fastest. But other brand names will work. The product typically comes in 5 gallon pails.

You will need a coffe can to mix it in, a gatoraid bottle works to scoop the powder out with, a pop bottle to add water and a 5 gallon bucket to get water from. I also like to have a extra coffecan handy that I squish to make a pouring spout so I mix in the one can and transfer it to the pouring can.

Only mix up enouph to do 2 or 3 holes at a time because it sets up fast.

You will need a drill with a mixing paddle to mix it.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM

In addition to what I alreadt said, you want to mix it so its the consistancy of thick pancack batter.

When filling your holes leave them about a 1" low, If you try to fill it to the top it shrinks down and goes up inside the post, Its easier to top it of if its a 1" low than it is 1/8" low.

The static water coming out of a tank just is'nt enouph usually, ( Not that it cant be done ) But presure significantly helps, When we had to fetch water I had a Little Giant submersable pump that I would set inside a 55 gallon drum.

I also have a 3.5 gallon pump sprayer that I use when I'm inside around carpet that I use in conjunction with my wet vac.

I typically set a pc. of plywood on the wall so the screws form the drill base dont mess up the top of the wall.

Make sure you wash the slurry off the wall after every core or you will be back there with a pressure washer cleaning it.
If you catch it quick enouph after it dries you can use a stiff broom and a regular hose.

Also when coring a hole you want to stay slow and steady, If your base moves on you or you come back to a hole and try to go deeper it tends to bind on you.

Good luck. Portable Welder.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

The static water coming out of a tank just is'nt enouph usually, ( Not that it cant be done ) But presure significantly helps, When we had to fetch water I had a Little Giant submersable pump that I would set inside a 55 gallon drum.

Im thinking for reference's sake, you should qualify what diameter and what length hose you are using. Im watering adolescent trees 12'-16' in height with a 300 gallon tank, no pump, ball valve, gravity only, and it takes me less than a minute to dump 20 gallons on a tree. (2" hose about 10' long).

Ive been using this set up for years, I spend way more time driving around, then I do watering.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
IRRC, 42 verticle feet of head = 100 psi, so you could work out psi per foot from that.
I tink ya got's it bass ackwards...

.47 psi ( per foot)

roughly 1/2 psi per foot of elevation.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM

Windy Acres, I have a 525 gallon tank mounted on a trailer to water trees and I agree static pressure work fine for that, However, I have tried running my core drill with siphoning out of a 55 gallon drum on the back of my truck and did not find it to work very good, I found the pump worked much better.

Now, If he was lucky enouph to be in a situation to have a 100 gallon tank mounted on a truck that was at a elevation 20' higher than where is is core drilling that would probably work.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM

thanks for all the info, I will have to read it all a couple times hopefully most will sink in this thick skull
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
Windy Acres, I have a 525 gallon tank mounted on a trailer to water trees and I agree static pressure work fine for that, However, I have tried running my core drill with siphoning out of a 55 gallon drum on the back of my truck and did not find it to work very good, I found the pump worked much better.

Now, If he was lucky enouph to be in a situation to have a 100 gallon tank mounted on a truck that was at a elevation 20' higher than where is is core drilling that would probably work.
Oh, ok, I thought he said he was working out of a 300 gallon tank, Id agree that if you get down to a 55 gallon drum, and a 5/8 hose or smaller, youd be moving pretty damn slow (via gravity/siphon).
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Windy acres, He may have said that he was working out of a bigger tank and I probably missed that.
Now that you brought up the difference between siphoning verses just draining out of a tank probably does make a difference.
However, Unless the tank is substantially higher than the core drill ( Say 20' or so ) I still think he will have a problem.

I am however glad that you made that point, Maybe some of our technical people here can weigh in as to weather or not there is a difference or not.