Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default More John Deere crumple zones

I have a desperate customer who has a 9600 combine tire and rim with a cracked rim.
They only want $2600 to replace the rim.
I can drill the cracks and weld it up, but it is busted around the bolts area.
I can only think I have to cut out and replace the metal in the bolt ring.

Aww, crap. One picture is of a ring roller a guy gave me yesterday. Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03053.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	95921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03054.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	95922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03057.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	95923  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Well Gerry that would appear to be 2 totally differant types of Sucks .

The guy with the combine ( sucks to be him ) .

The " Free Ring Roller " You Suck .

I would say on the rim as long as the cracks dont go through the lugg bolt holes go ahead and drill it and weld it up . Then again you do have that fancy plasma table .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

For his sake, I hope the combine is done working for the year (which I'm assuming its not, and the clock is ticking). They just hit the fields down here this week. $2600 does not surprise me, considering the color of it.

Can you really weld that, and permanently fix it ?

If it was mine Id be buying a new rim, reluctantly, just guessing there is a metallurgy problem with that rim, either that or the lugs where not evenly tightened (and a couple where loose for a while ?) Not sure how many acres hes harvesting, but it is usually cost prohibitive to have a combine go down when its time to pull. Ive seen my neighbor screw up, and in mid January pulling corn out of a field that has 6" of snow in it, and drifts 36" deep.

BTW, you suck on the roller , well done.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Lord of the Minions

Gerry, I had the exact same repair way way back when on one of my GD 8800's with duals.

I did as you are thinking, carefully cutting out what flat plain I could to very carefully be able to piece back in. I beveled both sides and for lack of a better rod on a weekend ass deep in Sbeans, I had to use low H all the way. I did stop drill a few cracks that were radiating out, but welded everything back both sides with low H as well.

4 years later the combine was sold with the same rim and repair. Had no further problems on my end, and did tell the buyer about it.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Auction Addict

Last summer I did one the same as LW, double beveled. Had a few more cracks in it than yours apperas to have. Stuck with 3/32 7018 all the way. It was on a swather that is still running fine this summer with no more cracks.

Cause was loose bolts that allowed the flex on the wheel. Only one had cracks in the hole. Had to do a little clean up in the hole to smooth it out. I did heat it up around 300F during welding and left the welds slightly proud of the base metal.

The whole job was lots less riskier than the 4" wide 1/2" thick main leaf spring I welded up a few years back on an old Reo.

Almost forgot to ask. Are you gonna use the ring roller or is it scrap?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Gerry,

It's been a while since I fixed anything like that but it can be done, especially as a temporary repair when a machine is down. And, as LW notes, you could get lucky and have it last for a while. In any case it should be enough to get your customer through the balance of the harvest. Does this happen to be the same one who had the problem with his header when I was there?

One thing I've done is to cut out a ring of 3/8 plate that fits tight on the outer face of the rim--so the lug nuts would pull up against it--and drill it for the same bolt pattern. Stitch weld it to the rim and it'll take some of the load off the original flange. More work but it will probably buy your customer some more time...

Keith

PS...check your email lately? I sent you a couple links...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Yes, it is in the middle of harvest The combine had 5000 hrs on it when I worked on it a couple years back.
I have already started cutting out the replacement ring, and I've cut out the parent metal. See below.
Due to my power supply issues cutting 5/8 is a bitch, I have the water heater in the house shut off, and I can't run the compressor when I am cutting so it is slow, build air, burn, stop, build air...

Noooo, I sure am not going to scrap the roller....I'm not that dumb I saved a gear box from that blow deck I scrapped, which will be perfect reduction for it.
I also got 2 - 70 gallon propane water heaters as well for 300 bucks from the same guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03061.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	95930   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03062.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	95931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03063.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	95932  

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Voice of Experience

Would it be possible to weld then sister a ring on top?

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Just a caveat, Im assuming you know this, but your not supposed to weld or cut on a rim with a tire mounted, dont take that as an insult.. I started out life in a tire shop, and never would have thought twice about it. Im assume you guys have covered that in the past, and Im assuming you got the tire off that rim already.

This is just one of the videos Ive seen on the subject, sometimes it takes a day or two for the tire to explode. There is one by brigdestone, I think, shows in the interior temp rise overnight. IIRC, I think removing the schrader valve does little to prevent the possible explosion.

There are better and more explanatory videos on youtube, but being that my connection is about a 1/3 of dial up, its hard for me to preview or search videos. This is basically the first one I cam across that addresses the problem. I recall a catalytic process of the heat generated with the material of the tire, that causes a fast rise in pressure. This video skims past it, others detail the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZ4siYGkag

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 09-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Yes, it is in the middle of harvest The combine had 5000 hrs on it when I worked on it a couple years back.
I have already started cutting out the replacement ring, and I've cut out the parent metal. See below.
Due to my power supply issues cutting 5/8 is a bitch, I have the water heater in the house shut off, and I can't run the compressor when I am cutting so it is slow, build air, burn, stop, build air...

Noooo, I sure am not going to scrap the roller....I'm not that dumb I saved a gear box from that blow deck I scrapped, which will be perfect reduction for it.
I also got 2 - 70 gallon propane water heaters as well for 300 bucks from the same guy.
Wasn't trying make fun of you just wondering if I needed to start crying today. Glad the pressure is off now. I'd love to find one like that around here. I'd even pay for it.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson