Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Below Wholesale

Default Jacking up house....idea bounce needed

One of my houses (100 year old balloon frame construction) has a rotten 8x8 sill. I need to figure out how to jack up the house to replace it.
The first story is no problem. I can span the joists in the basement and jack it up taking the weight off the sill. The studs holding the 2nd story are whats got me thinking.
The best idea I have come up with thus far is to lag bolt a 2x8 to the studs and then make plates that extend it out to put the jacks. a couple heavy angle iron gussets on the ends of the plates extending up the wall prevents the plate from flipping.

I wish I knew how much load I was lifting so I could at least come up with an idea on how heavy to build the attachments and which jacks I need to use. I have moved these houses around quite a bit before with a 20ton jack and had no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sill lift.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	37235  
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Tinman

Default jacking up house

Hi Cavalry;

Afew questions does it have a full basement? Are the studs rotted too? Are the floor joists nailed to the 8x8 sill or are trhey notched into it? Is the floor concrete in basement? I replaced the one side of my house,it's about the same age as yours. It's not an easy project to do I'll wait for a reply from you

mailtrain
Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Below Wholesale

house has a full basement, with a concrete floor. Joists are notched into sill (will not be after replacement) I have not stripped the siding off the house too far as winter is almost here (this is a next year project)
Old 11-01-2008, 07:26 PM
there has to be an answer

Is this what balloon framing is like? (attached picture)

I think I would just put the 2x8 on the out side and run some bolts or ready rod through the sill beam. You want the floor and walls to move at the same time and same amount. I'd run a Sawsall through the bed plate to cut the nails so the floor and wall are free to move as one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balloon.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	37242  
Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Below Wholesale

The 8x8 sill has pockets cut into it to support the joists. The studs sit atop the sill. It would be difficult to tie the two together with the sill in bad shape or missing.

the pic differs greatly from mine as I dont have a built up sill, and my studs sit on the sill not next to it.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Tinman

Default jacking up house

If the print you're showing is of the jacking detail on the outside of the building, my oponion is that the lags will tear out of the wood before the lifting will happen.

I jacked my floor joists up not much enough to take some pressure off. I stripped the outside off to the studs.Then I cut the 8x8 out and replaced the bottom half of the studs,I put three pieces in one in the center one on each side.This was done after the sill was in.Don,t try to jack to much at a time 1/4" a day is a good ratio to start with.To much jacking will wood in other places. The hardest part for me was getting the new sill in,I have a natural rock ledge on the side of the house.About three months to completely finish. That was working a full time job too.Be sure to support the bearing partitions that is important on the older homes like these.Hope this helps a little.

Mailtrain
Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM
there has to be an answer

The pic is from wikipaedia. I had never heard the term ballon framing.

How about this for Suggestion B.

On the inside of the house put the 2x8 on the floor and lag screw it to the wall. Again when you lift the floor you will be lifting the wall studs. Remove the 2x8 and fill the holes.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Below Wholesale

The house has already sagged I need to lift the studs to slide the new sill in. I have lifted single story structures with this technique with good success. 3 1/2" lags on each stud will take quite a bit to pull out. The load ideally will be in shear as long as the support brackets hold.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Tinman

Default jacking up house

Just read the post you sent to Bill.If the sill is missing the studs have settled.You won't be able to change that,doubtful that they will go back up.I set sill and let the studs go where they could.Also my foundation is three foot stone wall, did a lot of mortaring after. Because of the uneveness.

mailtrain
Old 11-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancherBill View Post

On the inside of the house put the 2x8 on the floor and lag screw it to the wall. Again when you lift the floor you will be lifting the wall studs. Remove the 2x8 and fill the holes.
The walls are 2x4 and the sill 8x8. This means that there is 2" space between the inside of the studs and the start of the joists. I would need a pretty substantial chunk of lumber to span the distance.

this house is a rental so I want to disrupt the tenants as little as possible as well.